Author Topic: hair combs  (Read 2121 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
hair combs
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:57:17 am »
 I have been left a large number of vintage & antique hair combs from my mothers estate and have no clue as to what to do with them. Can anyone help with research ideas for value,dating and selling these pieces?? Do not just want to let them go until I have a good idea of true value. My husband told me to put them all in a big box & sell them at the yard sale. I said no way!! any help would great. thank you

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: hair combs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:05:24 am »
Post photos and get some feedback here before you resort to a garage sale, some can potentially retail for a few hundred dollars.

Take a look at this site, click on the combs to see thier prices:
http://www.susannahscombs.com/Photo_Gallery.html

If this was a much-loved ancestor, you might want to consider framing them in a shadow box and preserving them for your children. Some of them are very beautiful and they are a piece of your ancestor's history.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:07:13 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:24 am »
Totally agree....frame some in a shadow box if need be...and sell some.  Or, save them all.

These are highly collectible!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:27:28 am »
Here are some photos of the hair combs. I have many more than this. I would not hesitate to keep them but my mother was a wonderful & very enthusiastic collector with dreams of one day selling but she loved the hunt much much more so lots of hunting no selling. I am keeping her treasured pieces she bought for herself but hope to let everything else go. And my house is bursting at the seams with a little bit of everything!!! god bless her soul!!

Thanks for any & all input!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:26 am »
You should have yourself $500 - $800 worth of combs there easy.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:17 am »
Those are beautiful! That's a very nice collection your mother put together!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:11:40 pm »
Thank you they are all beautiful!! She loved to collect but am  at a loss on how to find value on these and if the market is good for them now. Kc thanks $500.00 -$800.00 worth in just those !!!! I have so many more will have to research to see if I can find pricing on them each. No way I could do ebay with everything I have. I have some bakelite (still have more here)going into a fine jewelry auction in December with Skinner auction house in Boston Ma. Hope it does well!!