Author Topic: Can't identify maker of silver picture frames  (Read 1165 times)

beckyvs

• View Profile
Can't identify maker of silver picture frames
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:07:10 pm »
I came across what appears to be 2 very old picture frames; , I think they were silver. They weigh approximately 3 lbs. Both holds pictures 4.75 x 6.5. It is apparent that these frames were hand crafted and hand designed on the front. One has leaves around the top of the frame and the other has a unique design. One is oval and one is square. The back of the oval frame has circular brush strokes. Both frames seem to come from a mold.

The square one has a marking on the lower left back corner 10 11; the oval has a marking 10/17 along with SS. Both seem to be hand engraved. Both pictures are silver.  If anyone has any clue where these may have came from I would really appreciate any help you may have to offer. My mother gave these to me decades ago and I have no clue where she got them.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Becky
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:02:12 pm by beckyvs »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Can't identify picture frames
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:53:35 am »
Welcome to the forum , beckyvs ( & thanks for posting images ) .

I'm curious about what you see in these frames that lead you to believe that they're hand-engraved ?
Are you seeing progressive chisel marks , etc. ( I can't tell from images ) .

Although my first impression is that these are die-cast items , I've been wrong before .

It's not so unusual for 'imperfections' to be manufactured into dies used for the purpose of simulating hand-made items .

One semi-tell-tale way to check is to inspect the numbers you mentioned & see if they've been stamped into the metal , or have been cast into it ( magnifyer will help ) .

Bottom line - if ya like 'em , use 'em !

beckyvs

• View Profile
Re: Can't identify picture frames
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:27 am »
Thanks for your response; what led me to think they are hand crafted (it's hard to tell from the pictures) is that they are several irregularities in the designs of both frames when examined closely. The oval one has what appears to be brush strokes on both front and back along with some raised areas on the back. The pictures are not stamped on the back. The numbers are hand engraved, like someone puts there mark on ceramic's.

I do plan on using them, I think they are beautiful; I am just curious as to what they are, I've never seen frames made like this before. I've attached a few more picture that show more detail if it helps. Thanks again for your time.

Becky
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:04:43 pm by beckyvs »