Author Topic: Hummel question  (Read 4346 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Hummel question
« on: August 18, 2009, 05:59:02 am »
Hello all, I have give or take 64 Hummels (yes besides hair combs , jewelry & honestly just about everything else My Mother also collected Hummels ) I contacted a local auction house (Skinner) To look at some  of my collections. With the Hummels they said maybe $1,000.00 -$1,500.00 for all. I have done my research and not that I would expect to get book value  but this estamate seems extremely low to me. She also said the market for Hummels would never return!! I know the company has closed but was purchased by another so  they will be putting Hummels back in production with original molds & they will be hiring as many original artisan's that were still working for Goebel as possible.  Should I try them at auction, sell separately  or hang on to see if market returns in years to come?? Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Hummel question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:03:54 am »
That a lot of Hummel figurines.  First I would say that that apprasial does seem low.  There are lots of Hummel figurines and lots of collectors, even though I did read in a a book a while back about how they have lost the flavor of many collectors.  I still see them go for any where from 100 to 200 each.  I was in a store a few months ago and the owner had lots of these, I was thinking hard about buying one.  I just couldn't for the one I really like was just over $200.00.  Value here really seems to be based on the looks of the figurine.  In my opinion if you do sell I would sell individual not as a whole set.  If you sell the whole set you will just give someone like me the chance to make more money, will take a bit longer but you will get much more in the end.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:07 am »
Just had to go look around Ebay a bit, wow they are low.  Maybe they have dropped alot, I see prices from 20.00 to about 100.00 on average.  still that would be much higher then $1000.00 for all 67.  With that many hummel I would take a trip to the book store or library and get a guide for Hummel figurine and see what you have, some still get 300.00 to 500.00 even on ebay, you may have one of these.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:29:52 am »
Thanks Ironlord I have looked up all  the values of my hummels on line & in books & I do have some that are priced $500.00 & up so maybe those would do well and the lower priced ones would go for $20.00 - $100.00. Let me know what one you were interested in at that shop I may have it. I will have to get a more current price guide as mine are older. Thanks for the advice!!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:45:07 am »
All collectables have their day in the sun.  What comes to mind are Beanie-Babies or the Christmas series by Duncan Royale.  If it were I, the rare expensive examples would be segregated for separate offerings/sales.  The more common would be sold in small lots.  It's been my experience to never offer all in one huge lot.  This is, of course, you wanting to get rid of them.  I doubt the popularity will ever return but I've been wrong before... 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:14:15 am »
I agree Just got off ebay "good hunting" book value Around $319.00 sold for $26.00. I think the only chance these have is to time capsule them and wait for at least 50  generations of my family to pass. Then maybe,maybe most others will be broken or thrown out due to loss of intrest but doubt it. And don't get me started on beanie-babies I have hundreds!!!!! mini-large-etc.... each year we give our local rescue squad a couple bags, they give them to children who need to go to the emergency room by ambulance. Your advice about how to  sell sounds like my best option. I will take it!!  Thanks

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:10 am »
Wendy I'am afraid E bay has played havoc with the market. there are people who only want to sell  regardless of what the ''Book'' say's. the Book prices are often gleaned from antique shop's, auction listing's etc.

There only guides, to help you identify your treasures.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:31 am »
Facts:
The original manufacturer of the Hummel figurines was the Goebel company from the town of Rödental-Oeslau. They filed for bankruptcy protection back in July 2006 and were 'taken over' (read as: financially backed) by Strategic Value Partner und Merrill Lynch. Main reason for their problems was that the market for Hummel figures had decayed and managers had failed to see the inevitable loss in profits. The business was restructured, stopping Hummel production in October 2008 and then selling the complete unprofitable Hummel assets to the "Hoechster Porzellanmanufaktur" group located in Frankfurt. That company also purchased part of the facilities from Goebel and in February 2009 took up production under the newly-founded company "Manufaktur Rödental GmbH".

Note: Goebel itself again became independent manufacturer and there now are two independent companies (Goebel as well as Manufaktur Rödental) registered and operating from the same premises (Coburger Str. 7 in D-96472 Rödental) as both companies use the same production facilities on a time sharing basis.

Value:
As noted under 'Facts', the reason for Goebel getting into trouble was the massive drop in demand regarding Hummels. One can clearly speak of market saturation: as more and more people started collecting them and saw a certain financial potential, more and more figures were kept in perfect condition over decades. Desireability however is connected with availability and logic dictates that a market swamped with dozens of pristine items will collapse sooner or later. So far the auction house is right, the market for Hummels in that form will indeed never return ... however that should not be left uncommented and/or unexplained to beginners, apparently what happened to you. On the other hand one must clearly admit that auction houses trying to explain correctly are mainly misunderstood or accused of trying to interfere/pull a scam. With other words: it does not matter what they try, folks will always call 'em bummers.

So, why will that market never return? Since 1995 the complete collectibles market is in a ruffle thanks to eBay. Locally 'rare' items suddenly appeared to be not-so-rare-at-all as they were freely available all over the world, on the other hand some items surfaced in (rare?) localized editions (e.g. car models with unusual colors, advert prints, etc). At the same time it was a drastic (even historic) break in terms of evaluation as the former non-plus-ultra devices of 'collector value' and 'book value' suddenly literally evaporated as they became redundant due to the fact that they were absolutely unreliable at the (local and thus vital) point of sales. Even today (over ten years later!), many people still try to hang on to book values just because they can't accept the fact that their collection of 'rare' items is worth much less today. One might add that many people are sadly too blind to really understand the context of market development, inflation and real monetary value but that's another issue I can take up in another thread if required/asked for - perhaps one or other could save a buck or two in insurance fees, LOL!

That was factor #1, the second is the new positioning of both 'old' and 'new' Hummels. One should remember that a certain percentage of collectors invested tons of $$$ after hearing that Hummels were going to be discontinued, smelling a fat profit. Needless to say those folks are now sitting on a bunch of overpriced items. See market saturation. The new Hummels are so far not really worth mentioning as they are too new and not 'the real thing' in the eyes of an old collector ... or are they? Not now, at least. But if the new manufacturer croaks it after five years the items *could* become collectible earlier than otherwise. But who can tell? As for the old Hummels, the facts are that there are still far too many people out there with items in good condition that frantically hold on to the old reputation and a value estimate that has long passed away. It will take a time (a few years) before the overall loss of items (heirs dumping them, breakage, fire etc.) has a cleansing effect on the market and creates a new interest.

So why did you get such a 'low' offer? The auction house is playing safe, taking into account what I mentioned above and thus knowing the current sales margin, not forgetting their effort needed for categorizing/evaluating all items. Also they can't keep the items for years before the prices actually start to recover, hence their offer is a take-or-leave as it most probably will drop even further as more people try to sell after realizing the value is crash-diving. It's comparable with panic sales and the inevitable secondary market saturation which causes a complete collapse, well-known reason for stock-market crashes.

If you can, keep them well stored under good conditions and hope that they will recover one day.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:50:19 am by Chris_Marshall »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:38:00 am »
Thanks all Great info and as I stated I would never expect to get book value but would rather keep them for future generations of my family then give them away. Maybe I will time capsule them for my family in the very far future and as Chris said hope they recover someday. I think I will copy this thread with everyones  info & place it with them along with the price guides I have and instructions to sell when & if the market returns.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:40 am »
   Thanks Chris for the great info, Well said and eye opening.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:03:13 am »
You can always put a reserve on your items, so that you don't have to sell it at a way below market price.  You might also consider selling them in groups (lots) sometimes that gets the collectors really thirsty, LOL, especially when there is one they want in a group.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 11:26:36 am »
I've gotta make one comment with regards to Ebay.

I can't say I think that it has ruined the market, however we as a society are transitioning into a global economy, rather than a local one. That is a painful process, that forces us to let go of what we're used to and to compete globally. What Ebay has ruined is the brick and mortar antique store. There is just simply no way to compete and I think it's a terrible loss. Here in the SF Bay Area, I see them closing left and right.

As a consumer, I'm torn between my love of browsing through dark corners and dusty shelves for a hidden treasure, and being able to get what I want, any time I want it at an affordable price. I love browsing Ebay too. It's the worlds greatest garage sale, but it's a double-edged sword.

I don't wish to hijack the topic, so I'll climb off my soapbox now! Back to Hummels!!  :D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:20:24 pm »
Tales I totally agree I love to search little cramped shops that I have to be careful of my bag smashing some old treasure  as I navigate through also and will miss them dearly !!!!!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:22 pm »
Ebay is a double edged sword.  While it has brought prices down, items became available where they would have been never found.  I've bought stuff on eBay that I could have looked for a hundred years and never found in my neck of the woods...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:37:02 pm »
Ebay is a double edged sword....you love it and hate it sometimes!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!