Poll

Value- origin -metal unknown to me?

value?
0 (0%)
metal type?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Two Pairs of antique candlestick holders  (Read 2311 times)

mamaliz3

• View Profile
Two Pairs of antique candlestick holders
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:18 pm »
Need any information on theses type of candlestick  holders. One pair for sure is about 1800's not much else known- Need advice  on researching their value.......

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Two Pairs of antique candlestick holders
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »
I'd suggest that you start with finding hallmarks/makers marks on your items .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »
What are they made of?  What info do you have that indicates 1800's.?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:27 pm »
Dtto on what the others said.

The second ones are awesome looking!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:09:52 pm »
Both pair appear very tarnished which would indicate to me silver or silver plate.  I don't think bronze, copper or pewter tarnish that way.  There should be maker mark(s) on the bottom of each pair.  I agree with regularjoe in the second set/pair is neat.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »
    I would have to go with railman on this also, Looks like tarished silver.  If no markings can be found my call would be plate.  Almost always silver is marked, espically sterling.  The thing about plate would date it post 1850's at least and most likely post 1880, based on not really much was made until it really took off in popularity in the late 1870's.  Sometimes one will find a mark after they clean them,  I have found many items I thought was unmarked and polished them and a faint mark is revealed.   That second set is very intresting like the others said, but the tarnish color look a bit different, maybe just the photo.   If I had to make the call on these items with the available information and photo's.   I would say Early 1900's on the first set, and older on the second, really has the looks of that time.  Since no marks indicate silver, then I would say 1880's - 1890's.   
    Silverplate usually don't wack a good value, so much available.  However candlesticks are usually on the top of the picking list, many have broke and many have been orphaned.  You have two nice pairs here,  For the first one maybe $30.00 max, but the second set I would say you may get $100.00 because they are very different, footed and very Embellished.  Anyone who has a collection would want to add that to their collection.  Again this is based on little information input and without markings history would be thumbing through mountains of books in hopes of finding a match.  Take a good look under the tarnish on the bottoms.  I really hope you find the word sterling on that second set, they are worthy of that.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:19:29 am »
I would agree that the second is most likely silverplate....but the first appears to have a golden tone to it unlike silver....and I seeing right?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:02:53 pm »
I was of the opinion that the bottom pair are silver on copper, or quadruple plate.