Author Topic: Antique Razors and Leather Strap  (Read 5602 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Antique Razors and Leather Strap
« on: August 26, 2009, 07:49:02 am »
My father-in-law and I found these,in an old dairy barn,that was to be torn down.We found them a few years ago,but he just let me have them.They belong to my wife's great grandfather.We also found some pliers for pulling teeth,along with some bottles of novacaine,(Her Great Grandpaw was known as the community dentist)I was not able to find much at all on the razors.
The first is a Pipe Razor.I can't make out,all that is stamped on the blade,but it's made by,George Wostenholm & Son.After that it has Manufactures of the.....,that's all I can make out.The one with the black handle has, A.Vittur Co Ltd.,New Orleans,La.,Made in Germany.It has the original box with it.The strap is in pretty good shape,to be that old.I hope the pic.,will show what is stamped on it.

I would like to know,about how old,all this is,and maybe a value,even though I could not part with any of it.
God bless

Keith

• View Profile
Re: Antique Razors and Leather Strap
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:20 am »
Some more pic.
God bless

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:27:42 am »
Straight edge razors are something I know nothing about.  I'm anxious to read some of the retorts of our sages in this area.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:23 pm »
Will post more later when I have more time....but it is a straight edge razor (aka known as a cut-throat razor or an open razor.   The leather/cloth sharpener and smoother is called a strop (most people mistake this as a strap but it is spelled with an o!)

They are still produced/used in European and Asian countries.  However in the US where we are more of a disposable (and wasteful) society they are used alot less!  They are collectible.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:47:12 pm »
Now those would make GREAT Sweeny Todd costume accessories!!!  That and a baked pie!!!! :o :o :o

(Sorry I don't have any helpful info on this one, just costuming ideas!)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:49:41 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 07:35:18 pm »
Hi again....a great site for you to post your pics and get info on from avid straight edge users is....http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/33867-few-great-straight-edge-razor-finds-value.html  Now I warn you....there are some die hards here....they swear by it.

Here are a few this guy found from his grandfather....a Wustoff (like the kitchen knives) even!

As for the Primble strop....think of "John Primble" like you would the brand name "Craftsman." In addition, think of Belknap as the name of the store/hardware that sold them (like JC Penney, Sears, Montgomery Wards).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:43:44 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.Thanks for the site KC,looks like a good site with a lot of information.
Thanks for the idea tales. ;D
God bless

raroo99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 12:53:34 pm »
While browsing a shop recently I saw a few old straight razors- avg price was $40-95. The lady there stated she had recently sold the strop for $200. I only know there are a lot of reproductions that do not shave you due to the lack of silver in the blade, this is what helped them hone them on the strop. The ones I saw were not in very good shape. I do not know anything about these really I just happened to see them and asked her a couple of questions.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:52:09 am »
Thanks for the reply,raroo99.I don't know what these are worth,but after asking on the link that KC posted,they confirmed what I thought I already knew,that is,they are over 100 years old.I am proud to have them,and will pass them down to my children.

Thanks,God bless,Keith
God bless

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
My small suggestion is to keep your strop clean , oiled & buffed (maybe once or twice a year) so as to prevent the leather from drying-out & becoming brittle -esp. since you're planning on 'passing it down' to your kids .
Murphys' Oil soap is a fairly safe product to clean leather strops .

If you look around for a horse-hair brush , a barber's cup & a razor hone , you'd have a complete & cool little display to consider .

Glad to see that you've found the info you've been seeking !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:27:40 pm »
Great to hear that you were able to get more information on the razors Keith.  You might want to print out the information and save it along with the items.

Great advice from fancy about care of the strop!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:22:09 am by KC »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:19 am »
Another good way to take care of leather is to use saddle soap. It's a lot of work, but only has to be done a couple of times a year. You can pick it up for a couple of bucks at your local western store or feed store. Those ol' cowboys knew how to take care of their saddles and it really helps to keep the leather pliable. I used to use it straight on my saddles, without diluting with any water. Just rub it in and gently work the leather with your hands and a soft cloth.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:14:23 am »
Thanks for all the advice.I did rub it down good with glove oil,my daughter plays ball,so I had plenty of that.I still may get something a little more heavy,and rub it in good.
Thanks KC,for that idea,I think I will print that out,just in case my children want to know.
God bless