Author Topic: Add some forum topics?  (Read 2810 times)

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Add some forum topics?
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:45:11 pm »
There has been talk of adding some forum topics to this board.. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it at the time..
 Anyone else want to chime in? I'd be happy to consider any improvements yall might have! anything to make the board even more enjoyable.

thanks in advance!
regards, Ed
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Add some forum topics?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:21 pm »
Most other forums I have seen all are divided by different subjects, Glassware, Silver, Furniture, and etc.  However one reason I really like this forum is it is not so full of subjects, and to a advid reader of all the threads, I like it with it one main Catagory.  So my vote is to not add too many sub catagories.  If any Topics be added, maybe some like, Finds of the week,  which may allow us to share what we have found and learned about something we aquired.  Then maybe a Topic where we can advertise our site, oh even better would be a Topic or rather a research link page that we can share our different favorite site.   These are just some suggestions, but all in all I like it simple but informative.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »
I personally like the dynamic of the site ; one reason is the fact that one-time posters must return , in the event no one responds/has answers/etc. , to move their post back 'up the list' .

The fairly short first page of the 'topics' list keeps things moving along ... simple & effective .

I do agree with having a static list of reference links for all to add to & use .... just one more thing for admins & members to keep their eyes on , though (spammers & such) .

I don't think there's a big need for a 'mystery-item-of-the-week' topic ... those pop up all the time !!!
Ironlords idea about 'finds-of-the-week' might just fly O.K. .....

Thanks so much for asking for input , dontbe .

ps - If it ain't broke , don't fix it .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:59:24 pm »
Possibily a 'Links' section.  This new section could be divided into sub-sections like furniture, glass, pottery, lamps, silver hollow and flatware, toys, mechanical, etc. etc.  Educational, 'for sale' and 'wanted' links would be provided by members.  Probably more thought is needed for the sale and wanted links because there's no way this site should be responsible for misleading or falsified ads.  Just a thought.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:24:02 am »
I always see too many forums topics as DOS ("disruption of service"), literally. If applied in big style you have something like the eBay forums: a topic for each collectible but so stretched/thinned out that only one post per collectible area comes per month (if at all). Result: confusing structure, some VERY old posts that might frighten potential new members and also a tendency that questions are put in the 'wrong' category because the visitor is not sure where it belongs anyway. So as long as the forum does not get swamped by 1000 coin collectors a day that definately don't want to see any antique furniture, why open an extra coin area for them as it's plain useless anyway?

(As for links those could be added in the 'Special Threads' section. Rename it into 'Special Threads and Links' (as it's one context: collected/condensed information) and then either create a sticky all-link post or multiple sticky section-related posts containing the links. Folks can then add single 'replies' with additions and now and again somebody can 'compress' the addtions into new/overhauled sticky posts.)

I personally hate forum sites that want to create egg-laying wooly milk pigs as frantic commotion only covers mental lull (see politics, Microsoft, etc). There is no perfect solution but one can either stay 'generic' (structured or not) or specialize in a certain area; everything else is suicidal as other forum sites like eBay-buttplug Aucti*nBytes prove. Another forum I know (and have left since it got on my nerves) got adopted by a group of 'experts' around the owner; all are hollycoddling each other and claiming how good they are in comparison with all those useless noobs out there - they have totally forgotten where they once came from. Sure, they have a darned big topic collection nobody really understands and of course they need half a ton of big bullying moderators that keep everything clean ... but who wants to stay there if you are not allowed to breathe?

Before I drift off too far again: the name of this place is 'Antique-Shop.com' and as such should deal with antiques of all categories at once just like every small, dark and stuffy but incredibly cozy shop around the corner. If folks want well-lit departments with silly background music, greeters and special offers ... send 'em off to Wal-Mart :)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 05:35:43 am »
I agree with Chris M.

If the forums topics are categorized it will make for mass confusion because the majority of new posters are “one item’ers” and many don’t really know what they have so they won’t really know where to post their question or comment. I mean like “telling them to post a picture” will be a mild hassle compared to what would happen if they had to “pick a category” to post to.

Besides, this forum kinda make me “feel at home” after my 10+- years of ownership of one of those “small, dark and stuffy but incredibly cozy shops around the corner” where probably way more people came in to look around and ask questions than did those looking to buy something.   ;D ;D ;D

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:30 am »
Before I drift off too far again: the name of this place is 'Antique-Shop.com' and as such should deal with antiques of all categories at once just like every small, dark and stuffy but incredibly cozy shop around the corner. If folks want well-lit departments with silly background music, greeters and special offers ... send 'em off to Wal-Mart

Jeez, I should probably use that in the description of the site. I like it!!

Sounds like we are all of one mind.. but I have to say, I REALLY like Railmans idea of a "links" category..
You guys post links to good sites like sites that ID makers marks and such.. I have seen those and said to myself; "I have to mark that somehow before I forget where it is.." and never do. ::) :P

So.. how about one more category.. OR, how about I rename the special threads category?

OR, how about we leave it as it is, and when anyone has a recommendation or sees a post that should be moved into the special threads category, they contact railman or I about moving the post. You can do that by hitting the "report to moderator" link. (railman, those emails go to you too, right?)

thanks for the input guys! (and girls)
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:16:47 am »
The key word is simplicity of use. and added extra bonus. was Railman who keep's it ''clean''

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 05:01:34 pm »
The thing that I like about this site is the mix of items all in the same category.   BECAUSE....there have been so many times that I look at questions and see another topic that really interests me and I would not have otherwise searched for it....because it was on the back burner for another time.

We are a mish-mash group loving the simplicity (like D&b said) and un-departmentalized site (Like Chris M said)....

The links section might not be a bad idea!

Bottom line dontbe.....you have a winner!  Give yourself a pat on the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!