Author Topic: 19th Century Brick Manufacturing Processes?  (Read 3503 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
19th Century Brick Manufacturing Processes?
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:40:19 am »
OK I confess... this is a total "Antique Geek" question- Does anyone out there know anything about how bricks were manufactured during the 19th century?

As part of my garden project, I've been gathering a few bricks from local ruins and reconstruction sites. The bricks I'm finding are VERY different from modern bricks, and very different from older adobe bricks. They have red brick material, but with a whole lot of gravel in them.

The brick shown below is from an 1880's farm house. This house was in Morgan Hill CA at the site of Uvas Dam. When the dam was built in 1939, the house was moved to higher ground, and I lived in it for about a year. It has since been torn down. On a recent trip out to the site, the water level in the dam was low, and I was able to pick up this brick from the ruins of the original 1880's site. The site has been underwater most of the time since 1939.

Does anyone know anything about 19th century brick manufacturing processes? I'm kind of curious about the differences between the different types of bricks I'm finding.

There's a little info here, but I'm not sure what applies to this kind of brick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Tim

• View Profile
Re: 19th Century Brick Manufacturing Processes?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:27 am »
I also know nothing of brick making and am too old to learn now. Googling, I found http://brickcollecting.com/history.htm   also check out the site of Ricks-Bricks

I would guess that, depending of the early equipment, and they types of sand/gravel in that part of the country, one could manufacture many varieties of brick, some better than others. 8)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:40:09 am »
The  words that come to mind are 'quality control' , when it comes to 19th century bricks .

There's plenty of high-quality 19th century bricks still in buildings in the U.S. , as well as superior quality pavers still in use (dry pressed) .

I've found some locally/regionally produced bricks that had quality ranges from "oh my God!' to 'what were they thinkin' ... especially in areas with clay and limestone geology .
Sometimes these local manufacture sites would make their first 'production run' to build kilns for either limestone or clay bricks ( and sometimes had to be rebuilt/demolished due to low quality) .
The standards for some of these makers seemed to me to be , by-and-large , self-regulated .

Uniform Building Codes were often bypassed , or nonexistent (payola & expediancy were often factors) during 19th & early 20th centuries ( think : San Francisco Fire , Great Chicago Fire ) in cities and rural areas .

Terra cotta manufacturers had similar problems ; many sprang up for city buildings & vanished into obscurity .

On the West coast , there's lots of examples of masonry workers being brought over from Turkey & Morrocco for specific building projects (they were profoundly cheap workers , and often really great artisans) . They'd bring their native/regional skills along with them , and had methods that were both outstanding and shabby .

By the amount of aggregate in the brick photo you posted (perhaps glacial till or river-gravel?) , yours looks like a fired mud-brick .
Since it's got the 'algae patina' and is water worn it's kinda tough to tell , though .

With the Westward expantion of the U.S. , buildings were often really hurry-up affairs for the common man , who usually could not afford to have materials shipped in from more established areas : they used what was available locally .

Lots of history in them bricks !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:03:24 am »
Thanks for the info! I had a feeling this could be an interesting subject. As you say, there's a whole lot of history in these humble ol' bricks!

The one I posted is pretty crumbly. Lots of little gravely rocks in there, but it's also deteriorated due to having been submerged for years. Here is the site it came from, you can see a few bits and pieces of old house foundation in the foreground. This is in a rural area, that is fairly remote even today. In the 1880's it must have been very isolated. I'm guessing that bricks would have been produced in either the settlement that would eventually become Morgan Hill, or in San Jose, or one of the other bay area towns. 

Here is a photo of the brickyard kiln that is still standing in Richmond CA, about fifty+ miles north of the site in the photo above. This kiln dates to the early 1900's a little later than the brick. But I'm guessing that kilns like this could have been situated all over the bay area.

I'll post some photos of the other bricks for comparison, and I'll see if I can clean this one up a bit more. Thanks again for the info!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:58:19 pm »
Looks like a wonderful spot to site a home .

It would be nice to see one of these bricks that hasn't been submerged of eroded .

Good research on local kilns , talesof .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:11:57 pm »
So far I've only picked up bricks from three places, and two of them were submerged sites. I do have one from a dry site, but it isn't the same kind of brick, it doesn't have all the 'gravel' stuff in it. I'll try to get the pics up this weekend for comparison.

Yes, this was a very beautiful place once, that is for sure. The house was a 16 room two-story Victorian farm house with a lot of custom touches that were built into it. It looked like it was once the home of a large family. I rented the house for a little over a year, it was in the place it was moved to higher ground in 1939 when the dam was built. (that must have been a sight to see in '39!) It was beautiful in 1989/1990 when I lived there, and it must have be amazing when it was in the little valley before the dam. That little valley is a perfect basin in the foothills and would have had a little creek running through it. Sadly, the house has been torn down now.  :(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:02:19 pm »
 I have dabbled into looking at bricks over the years.

It all boils down to what clay soil was used to make it, How it was fired, and if properly dried to the correct hardness.   

Interesting piece of information, the City of Fort Worth still has lots of brick streets in good shape from the 1800's.  In addition, the famous Fort Worth Stockyards added brick flooring to it stock area in the 1800's which made "clean up" after the live animals easier and resulted in less illness.  The town of Thurber Texas was a town that was essentially built to make the bricks for the stockyards (over 10 million made/installed to make the 2600 pens  - almost 3 acres under roof - and would house more than 24,500 animals as one time and average 3.5 million animals through a year to the slaughter houses).  At the turn of the century, Thurber's thriving economy was based on producing coal for steam engines and for firing the brick kilns.  They then decided to "modernize" the kilns to oil fired kilns....little did they know that this move would eventually turn them into a ghost town because the trains that came through to distribute the brick and brought all the cattle to FT Worth would also turn to oil then gas engines....and the mining would not be needed.  Those bricks are still a big collectors item today....but don't get caught stealing one....the fines are $$$$$$$$$$.

Just got back from Paris, France and the streets in most of France are old brick.Some even date back to the 16th Century!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »
Cool info! Bricks and cobblestones are interesting bits of history, that is for sure. During my walkway project with the San Francisco street cobblestones, (still half finished) I found a guy who has some old curb pieces too, that he was selling for use as steps, waterfeatures or whatever. Kinda cool.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:56:32 pm »
Back in the 80's I lived and worked in SF and one of the things we did was install handicap ramps on street corners. When SF was being rebuilt after the '06 earthquake, they installed miles of granite curb all over the city and we had to remove them to install the ramps. The granite came from the Sierras. They saved all the pieces we took out. Eventually they stopped putting in granite and started putting in what they called armor curb, which is concrete curb with a steel nosing. You can still see granite curb and armor curb around the city. New curb now is just concrete.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:27:46 am »
That's exactly what this seller said, that these were granite curbs quarried from the Sierras.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:30:19 pm »
Some interesting information talesof

first paved street in the US info?  http://www.wvculture.org/hiSTory/businessandindustry/brickstreet02.html       http://www.wvculture.org/hiSTory/businessandindustry/brickstreet01.html
(They like to toutthe first in the world...but it was the first using this method!)

The first known were in India 3000BC that have been dated to so far!

http://www.qctimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/columnists/alma-gaul/article_23887fb2-4183-11de-a943-001cc4c03286.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/ques20081008023926AALnyMqtion/index?qid=
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:33:10 pm »
Interesting! I thought the Romans were the first to build paved roads! Thanks for the info!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 03:04:57 am »
Tales, with all the aggregate in your brick, are you sure it is not made of concrete?

I’m not sure what would result with that much aggregate in a brick ….. during and after the “firing” process because of the expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:51:32 am »
All I know is that the base material is red, its shaped like a brick, but it's full of gravelly stuff. (how's that for a non-professional-sounding answer?!!)