Author Topic: Smoked Milk Glass, really smoked  (Read 3141 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Smoked Milk Glass, really smoked
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:19:00 pm »
   This was in a box of a bunch of left over from the Estate sale, cost me about a buck.  Of course you can see we have a issue.  This is a wonderful piece of milk glass, I'm told it's a popular piece, I will look into that.  What I'm looking for is a trick to get it clean, any warm oil tricks up any sleeves out there?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoked Milk Glass, really smoked
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:27:48 pm »
Have you ever tried just plain white vinegar with warm water?  Works great on smokey windows!  ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:29:07 pm »
Nope but Maybe I give that a shot.  Thanks

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:37:27 pm »
I actually use straight vinegar, but thought that you might want to dilute in case there is any finish on the piece that might be affected by the acid.  Always found the vinegar to cut through both smoke and grime......use it in hot water on my cushion floor too.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:07:14 pm »
I agree...I use vinegar for alot of clean up....caustic enough to help...but not too much to cause damage!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:16:34 am »
I can see the point in cleaning some things but  I think the different color tones on this item are desirable and really nice. Maybe something that would add a extra selling point to this peice. If it were mine I would for the most part leave it alone.
If it is to be sold the buyer could always clean it to their preference without much effort,but to restore it to that beautiful aged look takes many years to aquire and only a few moments to erase. J.M.O.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:19:06 am by Dean Perdue »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:35:54 am »
I agree with Dean, ..... leave it alone.

I really don't believe that it being in a "smokey" place would color it so evenly as that is. It would take 40+ years for that to even think about happening.

That almost looks like an original color ..... or someone intentionally colored it.

Put it in pure ole bleach water and it it don't come off it ain't smoke.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:28:54 am »
I thought about leaving it alone, because it does look kinda cool, but that is many years of Smoke and grease.  The house it came out of was full of this stuff and the owners were chain smokers.  This one is really bad because it hung out above the stove and has the added grease and cooking smoke to it.  You can just feel it on the outside, makes you want to wash your hands after you touch it, and it smells kinda icky too.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 09:53:11 am »
If you do want to get smoke off of glass (glass without paint , that is) that has stable color or clear glass , use a solution of TriSodiumShosphate (TSP) and water .
It works "like nobody's bizness" for cleaning up smoke .

Don't bother wasting your time with TSP-ish replacement type products , and wear some hand protection while using (eye protection too , if you wanna get wild about it) .

TSP can be purchased locally in Seattle at Parker Paint Co.
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »
No matter what you wash it with I don't think you will hurt the glass, unless you use sandpaper, emery paper or phosphoric acid.

If it is grease on there as you say, then hot soapy water and a stiff brush will clean it off lickety split.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 05:44:17 pm »
     Thanks for the tips anymore would be welcome.  Early this week I will be running test on the various methods, just for grins and giggles, and of course for my future knowledge.  I will Post the results, when I'm finished.  Thanks again all you wonderful folks  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:50:06 pm »
Look forward to hearing your result scientist ironlord!  May the force be with you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!