Author Topic: Antique Icon from Co. Limerick, Ireland  (Read 5650 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Re: Antique Icon from Co. Limerick, Ireland
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »
Dean and KC - thanks for the postings.  The shape of the stone is the same, tho this one at seven inches is much bigger than the one I have.  I wonder if it was made to be worn ??  Well, that gives some credence to my estimate that mine may date back to the 1700's, which may mean that it belonged to someone other than my g-grandmother before she had it. If only it could speak.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 01:00:04 pm »
Dean and KC - I don't think my prior reply printed.  Thanks for your postings.  The shape of the one on Ebay closely resemble mine, the one on Ebay is about twice as big.  I guess that is why mine may be called a travel icon.  The date given for the Ebay one gives credence to my estimate that mine may have been made in the 1700's. So my g-grandmother may not have been the original owner.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 05:53:00 pm »
Hi Jondar

I saw this one more like yours in measurement but not as old and having a plainer looking icon.
I'll keep yours in mind and post when I see other similar examples.
If possible any chance you could post a close up or two of the Mary icon?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-1900s-French-Brass-Marble-Miniature-Icon-St-Anne_W0QQitemZ320445968257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c116f81

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 10:51:57 am »
Dean - It is appreciated.  I'll e-mail my daughter and ask her to photo the Madonna.  Her camera has three times the megapixels as mine does.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 07:30:22 am »
This brings out more detail.  Is that a rosary over the right arm?  Probably a thorough cleaning would bring out more details, but I'm told this is a no-no, is that correct?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 10:42:41 am »
That's a big No-No!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!