Author Topic: Antique Print Help  (Read 1800 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Antique Print Help
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »
Anyone have any information that they could share about this print? When I got it the seller didn't know anything about it and just refered to it as gothic art???

It is on a very heavy stiff paper and has a small embossed seal in the shape of a globe saying:1892 The Worlds Columbian Exposition Chicago Illinois 1893

On the print's top it says: Copyrighted 1893 by George Barrie.

Looks like the artist name printed on it is E Rossette Granger.

Is this what is called a steel engraving print? Looks pretty crazy in person and especially under magnification. The photo does not do it any justice.Seem as it may have been framed a couple times judging by the differences in color tones in the margins.

Hoping to learn something more on this and any opinions or comments are welcome.Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:15:02 pm by Dean Perdue »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Print Help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:32:09 pm »
I think you may be looking for works by Paul Edouard Rosset-Granger, 1853 - 1934.

http://columbus.iit.edu/artgallery/1500/00364282.jpg

sapphire

• View Profile

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:09:03 pm »
K, found a copy from the exposition.....stil l searching for more info:

http://columbus.iit.edu/artarch/00244014.html

1893: Jetsam Sbg engraving engraved by Paul Victor April (Exhibition World's Columbia Exposition, Chicago, USA)

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:D6bLiDV0YX4J:columbus.iit.edu/artarch/france.html+flotsam+and+jetsam+rosset-granger&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=safari

"ROSSET-GRANGER's Epave," or "FLOTSAM," first exhibited at the Champ de Mars in 1892, is a painter's problem, wrought out to amuse himself or shew his skill but not having much relation to art as generally understood. The problem is to render flesh tones, under certain conditions of death, wetness and reflections from sea-water, and when it is done the solution does not much interest anyone but painters. The accuracy of the modeling of the body may be appreciated, however, even by the unlearned, and M. PAUL-VICTOR AVRIL has made an excellent plate out of this most difficult subject."

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:48 pm »
Thanks Sapphire for these links.Your research skills rock.

Knowing the name of this art print after years of not having a clue really made my day plus to learn that this was first a painting then a engraving by M. Paul-Victor Avril is amazing. I wonder how come no credit is given on this print mentioning his name.The time and talent this engraver must have took to make the original plate blows my mind. What a by gone day and age of truly amazing craftmanship and skill.

Thanks once again for helping me out with your knack for digging up relavent and useful facts.
Armed now with some great new keywords it should be interesting to see what else can be uncovered.
Off now to see whats available on this engraver.

Best,
       Dean