Author Topic: Made in Japan  (Read 5909 times)

thayla

• View Profile
Made in Japan
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:20:30 am »
I have had this jug with me for a while. I am unable to learn anything about it on the Internet. It is porcelain with a crackled glaze. The jar does not have a lid, and doesn't appear as if there ever was. The jug has a stamp on the bottom: Marumon Ware. Made In Japan." An encircled letter K appears between these two sentences. It is 7.5" tall and 6" wide. The piece has a small chip at the base.) So my thinking is that this was made for export in the 1950s or later.

Does anyone have any ideas about how and why it was made? WHo would have owned it? Would it have been handmade? What's the possible age? Was this a common design?
Thank you!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Made in Japan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:33:18 am »
Made in Japan was used prior to WWI and after American Occupation in Japan.

Marumon Ware was made as an export and it is believed that it was produced by a Division of the Noppon Toki Gomei Kaisha Company in the small town of Noritake.  You will also see it as Maruhon Ware on sites including Replacements LTD, KOVELs, etc - You will see lots of it on ebay, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/businesshistory/3755201923/  Info you can find on Marumon
No history found for maruhon

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:35:04 am »
     What you have I believed at first was Majolica jug.  I have seen the Circle K made in japan marks a few times, and thought it was a Import mark, for you find this mark on many items beside Pottery, Porcelain, toys and etc.  But had to do a liitle snooping around a pit and found something intresting so I thought I would share, not sure what it all means yet, but just ran into it.

At this site    http://chinaminer.canadutch.ca/index.php?pr=Japanese_info

Under this heading,  Marumon ware, about halfway down

An extensive search has not produced any details about the Marutomo at this stage. We know that the Japanese word “Maru” translates to mark or circle. We also know that similar wares appear with the names “Marumon Ware” and “Maruhun Ware”, only these brands appear with the circled letter “K”. A lot of Marutomoware is advertised as 1920-1930.

Marked on the base, Marumon Ware, the letter K in a circle, Made in Japan and Japanese writing underneath that. The Japanese were required to mark their exports Made in Japan , a practice which continued until the beginning of World War II, from 1941 until 1945. During the following years of American occupation of Japan (1945 to 1952), all exports from Japan were marked Made in Occupied Japan. After the Occupation, Japan marked her exports simply Japan.
 It is believed that Marumon Ware was produced by a Division of the Noppon Toki Gomei Kaisha Company in the small town of Noritake. (See Noritake above)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:35:56 am »
  Beat me to it KC  :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:51 am »
:P
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

thayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:21:27 am »
Thank you! Very gracious of both of you! I am new to antiquing, so I greatly appreciate the insights. Any thought as to whether the pattern on the jug was done free hand by the craftsman?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:47:47 am »
     That is Handpainted and Hand crafted

thayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:21:32 am »
Thank you!  :)