Author Topic: Steamer Trunk: Need Date for Museum Donation  (Read 7775 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Steamer Trunk: Need Date for Museum Donation
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:23:29 pm »
Hi Gang,

During our trip to New York State, we visited the Medina Railroad Museum. http://www.railroadmuseum.net/
It is run by it's enthusiastic creator/owner/director Martin Phelps, who greeted us personally and told us how he sold his house to build it to house a collection of railroad artifacts and an enormous model train. I was so impressed with the museum and the enthusiasm that Martin has for it that I talked to him about donating an old steamer trunk I have. I would like to get an approximate date on it for him.

Here is what I can tell you about it. It is in 100% original condition. It is 36-1/2" length, by 20" width, by 23" height. It has never been cleaned, restored or altered, only stored and dusted. It is made of wood, covered entirely in the original canvas. It has metal fittings and hardware, with wooden slats, rawhide trim and leather handles and bindings. It still bears the original owners initials on the side, E.P.K. and has cargo stickers from Wells Fargo, American Railway Express Co. and Am Ry Exp. Co. It was made by C.A. Malm & Co of San Francisco, which started up in 1864. The original manufacturer's label is still inside. The interior of the trunk still has the original canvas lining with no rips or tears, and ribbons in the top for photos, papers and small item storage. The rollers are original, intact and functional. The lock is original, missing the key, but seems fully functional as it still moves. the interior drawer shelf is missing. The destination cities on the labels are Monterey CA, Carmel CA and Palo Alto CA. There is a very nearly identical one in the museum at Hearst Castle, that belonged to Wm. Randolf Hearst. Some of the leather straps are missing, some are there. The handles are worn, but are intact and functional, still able to lift it fully loaded.

I purchased this trunk in Boulder Creek CA in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It was found hidden underneath the Palo Alto CA home of a family who were taken to a Japanese prisoner of war camp during WWII. It was filled with their photographs. It is not known what happened to them and I do not have the photos, just the trunk was sold to me. I do not know the name of the family. The lady I bought it from said that the story in the neighborhood was that they were arrested because their daughter had married the son of Emperor Hirohito. I researched this and there seems to be no truth to it. I suspect it was the neighborhoods way of justifying what had been done to the family and the story stayed with the trunk all these years. For the last five years it has been a prop for the Tales of the Seven Seas Pirate Reenactors. Lots of kids picked up pirate treasure from inside the trunk during the five years or so that it has been with us!

Here are  the photos:

Front of the trunk:

Front of the trunk, lid open:

Side of the trunk with owner's initials and cargo label. You can get a good look at the rawhide trim in this one:

Side of the trunk with owner's initials

Bottom of the trunk with labels:

Back of the trunk with one label:

Interior lid with canvas and ribbons. The canvas on the interior of the trunk looks the same as this, plain and unpainted canvas, with metal fittings for a shelf.

Closeups of the labels:

Manufacturer's label inside the lid, C.A. Malm & Co of San Francisco:

American Railway Express Co label, with an old Wells Fargo label underneath it. I think this one is really neat and might help to get an approximate date on the trunk, with the old Wells Fargo label. It looks like Wells Fargo operated a private express stage line from 1862 to 1865 out of San Francisco. They also bought Pacific Express Railways in 1868 and started shipping on the Transcontinental railroad. Here is a great article with details on that, http://www.answers.com/topic/wells-fargo-company

Here is the photo of the American Label over the older Wells Fargo label:

Up-close of the corner where you can see the Wells Fargo name:

More labels:

Wheels, all four are like this, intact and fully functional:

I'm leaning towards 1880 to 1910? Can anyone help me determine the date? Any other comments?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:29:16 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

thayla

• View Profile
Re: Steamer Trunk: Need Date for Museum Donation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »
Hi Tales,
It's great that you want to donate it to a museum! Very kind of you. I started collecting some antique steamer trunks. Based on what I have learned so far (mind the disclaimer), I think your estimate about the age is correct. So many of them deteriorated throughout the years. Trunks, except the louis vittan trunks, aren't really worth much. If one would buy one unrestored and "messy," it would generally cost about $35 or so even with the original lithographs, paint, and tray. Once restored, the price tag escalates, as I noticed. Yours seems unique to me because of the stickers, canvas, condition, and  interior. The hardware is also interesting. I would contact someone who restores them to get their opinion regarding age. Here are some links.
http://www.eagletrunks.com/antiquetrunkhistory/trunkhistorystyles.html
http://www.thisoldtrunk.com/history/index.html

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »
What a cool historical item that has a somewhat traceable past.It's crazy how well made these were and still in working order even after the century mark.Wonder how long modern luggage last????

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:40:41 pm »
Okay...we know that it was in business on Dec 22, 1888  http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/CA-OLD-NEWS/2006-09/1159224831

INDICTED FOR FORGERY
The United State Grand Jury indicted J.F. PERRENOT yesterday for forgery. PERRENOT was employed as book-keeper for C. A. MALM, a trunk manufacturer on Bush street. He forged the name of his employer to a Postoffice order for $60 and used the money. He was arrested, and let out on $500 bail. Upon the finding of a true bill against him by the jury his bail was increased to $1000.

And according to this....The Pioneer Trunk Company (previously the CA Malm trunk Mfg) was established  in 1902. http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/history/hgreg.htm Note:  This is a different address!  So that puts your trunk prior to 1902 if in fact the CA SF Genealogy history is correct!

And to help verify http://www.archive.org/stream/catalogexhibitors00panarich#page/n7/mode/2up in 1915 it was located on 7th Street. (Note in this exposition book under Transportation Exhibit #52)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:15:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:32:01 pm »
Interesting stuff! Thanks for the detective work KC! I will pass that along.

I think the appeal for the museum is that it is unaltered, has the old stickers and that it's from the opposite end of the country. It will cost more than the actual value to ship it, if they decide to follow through on this. They also do not have a trunk like this one. I know they aren't terribly valuable.

I think most people like to strip off the canvas and refinish the wood. I didn't want to do that to this one because it was so completely intact. I do wish they hadn't covered over the old Wells Fargo label. That is probably the oldest one on the trunk. It would have been fun to see!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:30:23 am »
I think that this is great since it isn't "stripped" of it's history and character!  Admire you for passing along a lot of history and nostalgia for future generations!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:19:38 pm »
Gee thanks! I liked seeing the old cargo stickers and the initials. I agree with you, the history would have been lost if it had been restored or altered in any way. As it turns out, if this all works out, it is that history that will get it a place in the train museum! Keep your fingers crossed for the old trunk and I will keep you posted!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:09:25 pm »
These flat top trunks were at a popularity from 1872-1890. Normally oak slats for durability makes them still able to be in use today.

Actually not a steamer trunk as steamer trunks were 1/2 the normal size or about 14" tall and made for traveling by ship because ships had less storage space.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »
Thanks for the date and the clarification! I will pass that info along to the museum.