Author Topic: Sideboard Information  (Read 3077 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Sideboard Information
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:24:36 pm »
     Got back from getting mysty's new old furniture, and decided to also pick up this Sideboard.   We would like to get any infromation possible on style, Age, Maker, value, and etc. if possible.  We Got this piece for $85.00 from the friend that ran the estate sale last weekend.  Such a wonderful piece mysty just could not pass it up.  We got lots of wonderful left overs this weekend also, but this is the queen of weekend for us.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Sideboard Information
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:06:49 pm »
     O.k. did a bit of a clean up on it and fixed.  Also took the first pics without the small back rail.  No manufacter markings anywhere only the No. 185 stamped on the back.  It has some minor issues but all in all It is in great shape.  It will need a refinish later, the top has been somewhat abused, with scratches and wear and tear.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:43:00 pm »
Beautiful piece ironlord.  I can just picture it 'redone'.  Don't know where you guys find this stuff but wish I was stalking you  ;) :D

My sister lucked into a piece similar to yours many years ago, except it just had doors on either end.  It had decorative feet but no 'knees' as yours has.  She wanted a coffee table type piece, so cut the legs off !!! I nearly cried, but took some satisfaction in that she didn't cut them all to the same length ......... so her 'coffee table' never did sit square on the floor.  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:04:35 pm »
Nice buffet you have there!  Appears American made to me....D&b may be a better opinion than mine.

Looks like all is there.  Love the details.  They sell in my next of the woods for $300 - $450.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:08:05 am »
Ironlord, that is the "classic" Depression era dining room furniture with the "bulbous" legs and stretcher base.

A complete set would have included matching table, chairs, china cabinet, etc.

There is another post on the forum back a month or so where that line of furniture was discussed.

Be careful if refinishing it, the veneer is very thin and easily damaged.

If you find any loose or bubbled-up veneer, where it has come unglued, you can use that "wet cloth n' hot iron" trick to re-attach it.

munchiesgrannyforever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 12:53:04 am »
Straight out of my memories of my grandma's home in Waco, TX....dusted a piece like this many years ago, I'm in mid 50's now...yes this did have a table and 8 chairs.......but somewhere along the line someone took the table and chairs and now no one knows who has/had them...as for the buffet, my father and step mother took the buffet for safe keeping, their idea of that was in a barn/shed, when I got my hands on it, all the veneer had buckled off, I didn't know of the cloth and iron method and the entire piece was split and rotted...broke my heart, but it was not able to be restored...had I known then how much I would have loved to have this piece now, I would have kept it somehow, my granny has been gone since 1979 and that piece was in her dining room long before I came to know of it...so it is old, and I would sooooooooooooooooo cherish it...wish I had kept a door or something off of it...sigh, good findings, enjoy, we had many a wonderful dinner served off of our buffet........back in the days when grannys would hold the turkey legs together with black metal coat hangers!  Yikes, but yum was the food.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:36:28 am »
Enjoyed your story munchies....yeah..w e all get more sentimental with age and say...if only we knew then!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 12:15:12 am »
beautiful. I wouldn't refinish it unless it has severe damage. I have to re-finish what i have because it was burnt and some has cracks. JMO  :)