Author Topic: Another trunk question  (Read 1933 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Another trunk question
« on: October 19, 2009, 04:32:22 pm »
I'm considering getting my youngest a trunk as a gift..... precursor to the cedar chest to come. She needs the storage and like her mother, loves the old stuff.

I have the chance to pick this up for $55.  Would you say it was worth trying to restore and roughly how old would you say it was?

I figure at this price if it doesn't turn out 'perfect' I'm still ahead  ;)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Another trunk question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:45:58 pm »
it's in the 1900 1920 time frame. the upper tray is missing. would prefer to get it cheaper..... but. I have seen trunk's in far worse condition selling at $80.00 Dollars +

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »
Thanks D&b! This is another I had thought about going to see, but had a big issue with the amount of black paint that is covering it.  Even if I could manage to get it all off (big IF), I don't know if the work would be worth it even at $25.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:06 pm »
the $25.00 dollar one is a much better trunk & appears to be intact... but the paint could involve some work. some times you can look in the lock or clasp & find a lock patent date. get you pretty close to it's true date.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:15 am »
I have the chance to pick this up for $55.  Would you say it was worth trying to restore and roughly how old would you say it was?

Offer them $42.50 for it ...... and I think a good coat of Old English furniture polish on it and it would look just fine.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:01:19 pm »
I have to agree DB, the black trunk is the better of the 2 but if I was going to restore one it would be the first one, without the black paint. Trunks are plentiful as there are still many around. You have to restore them yourself and keep it in the family, as the time spent on restoration is very difficult to recover. You can spend many, many hours restoring them.