Author Topic: Ryrie Bros. spoons.  (Read 1316 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Ryrie Bros. spoons.
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:05:27 am »
Of course both sets of batteries are dead, will post pics when we recharge. :P

I have three small (4") spoons, possibly demitasse? Sterling with gold plated ( ? ) bowls.  Have done some digging and can't remember where to find the 'letter' marks chart that indicates date.  The marks on the spoons are 925, "R" and a lion, along with RYRIE BROS.

I do know it was a Canadian firm and eventually merged with Henry Birks. I would love to be able to date them a little better, but have found scant and/or conflicting info.

Here are two excerpts I did find............

"Ryrie Bros.
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Started in 1879, incorporated in 1897. In 1905 They joined the Birks Family of companies. Between 1914-1924, the firm marked its products Ryrie-Birks. After that it was all marked Birks.
Ryrie Bros. appears to have been a retail firm which marketed goods manufactured for them by others. (All info courtesy of Dorothy Rainwaters encyclopedia) "

and...
"The top-drawer firm Ryrie Brothers amalgamated with Montreal jewellers Henry Birks & Son following the death of one of the three Ryrie brothers in 1917; in the 1930s Ellis Bros. joined the company to form Ryrie-Birks-Ellis. but they were known always just as Birks. Birks went through bankruptcy proceedings in the nineties and now are reconstituted as Henry Birks Co.."
Also......
http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERMARKSRDUE.html
RYRIE BROS - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Founded in 1879 by James Ryrie. In 1897 Ryrie Brothers was incorported. From 1914 to 1924 the firm marked its products Ryrie-Birks and afterwards Henry Birks & Sons

http://www.silvercollection.it/CANADASILVERSMITHSR.html

Will post pics later, but any clarification on dates that would cover Ryrie Bros would be appreciated.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Ryrie Bros. spoons.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:01 am »
you should be in the. 1897 to 1913 time frame. the Gold plateing, was added too prevent the acid's from food pitting the metal.