Author Topic: Looking for any info on a pitcher  (Read 2205 times)

RoseRidge

• View Profile
Looking for any info on a pitcher
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:51 am »
HI, I am trying to find out anything I can about a small ceramic (?) pitcher and any help would be appreciated. What I do know about it is that it was in my great aunt's antique store in Michigan when she closed the store around 1940. It is 7" high and 6" from the end of the handle to the end of the spout. I cannot find an identifying mark on it. Also any significance to the cutout(besides decorative)in the top of the pitcher? I have posted multiple pictures of it at the following site.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575164205uoQWKK

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on a pitcher
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:18 pm »
It look's to be english.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:24:19 pm »
Looking forward to hear something on this piece.
I really like it with the way all those un colored flowers lay subtly in the background.That to me is beauty.
Really great to see all those photo's of this impressive item.
Nice.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:16 pm »
Very pretty! Does appear English to me also. Nice crazing, soft paste, like Wedgwood, Doulton, etc......

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 10:34:59 pm »
Looks like a double spout pitcher to me...but a view looking down on the top of the pitcher can change that opinion I am sure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

RoseRidge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:34:54 am »
Thanks for the replies so far.  I think it's pretty even with all teh crazing.  There is a picture at the webshots link in my first post that was taking looking into the pitcher from the top.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:11:27 pm »
Rose, did you check inside for any markings ? It's possible it may have some on the bottom instead of outside on the base.

RoseRidge

• View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on a pitcher and now a stein
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »
Yes I looked inside the pitcher in every direction and outside in the bright sunlight, but don't see anything.  Is one of the things that make you think it's English the shape of the handle?  Just trying to learn something new.

And today while out running errands I couldn't help but stop and do some "treasure" hunting, spent $6.50 and came home with two items. 

I found a ceramic stein that I thought was nice. Have no idea of the age and looked online for anything about the mark on the bottom but couldn't find anything. So again any help would be appreciated. It has an overall light crazing on it and a nick on the bottom edge. It's 7" tall.

And I found a vase that I thought looked like it was from the 50's or 60's that said France on the bottom and I couldn't make out the rest with the glasses I had on, but took that too. It was in perfect condition and stands 7" tall. Reminded me the type of vases in neighbor's homes when I was growing up. When I got it home I could make out B. Latelle, France, a mark (hard to see) and I couldn't quite make out the number. It's incised not stamped. I put one picture up of that too.

I appreciate everyone's input and have been reading other posts finding them informative and interesting.

Here is the link again to those pictures.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575164205uoQWKK

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 07:17:08 pm »
These are great pouring pitchers.  You can pour out the front or the sides - the sides are made to catch the ice!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!