Author Topic: Great-Grandmother's Antique Engagement Ring  (Read 2262 times)

AmandaHyens

• View Profile
    • Engagement Rings
Great-Grandmother's Antique Engagement Ring
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »
Hi Everyone! I have a new ring to post!

This was my great-grandmother's engagement ring. I am pretty sure that it is from the 1930's-40's. I have it because the prongs need to be retipped from wear and my grandmother does not trust any jeweler near her (neither did I). My future father in law (once engaged I guess. . .haha) is a jeweler and will be doing the work. The ring is ultimately willed to me, but my grandmother would like to be able to wear it.
I don't have any stats on the ring, but it is 18k white gold, no rhodium. I have a photo of the stamp on the inside of the ring, but it is terribly worn. Any ideas on a maker?
The diamond looks like a transitional cut, but feel free to correct me. . .I'm curious if that is right. It's a real deep cut with a high crown. I don't have calipers on me, but I used a 4mm band to make a line on the edge of a piece of paper to compare to the stone, and it is just a smidge over 4mm wide.

I also have 2 wedding bands that were in the box with the engagement ring. I believe that the engraved one goes with the ER. I will have a photo of that stamp as well. Any idea on the maker of the engraved band?

The plain WB is an Artcarved, but I don't know when it was made or purchased (late 40's or early 50's). It is from my great-grandpa Tommy, her second husband (my step great-grandpa. . .I never knew my real great-grandpa, but he gave her a lot of jewelry. She never would accept jewelry from my great-grandpa Tommy. She wanted him to spend the money on traveling instead.) The ER and engraved WB came from her first husband.

"A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl's best friend."
Engagement Rings|Wedding Rings|Rings Circle of New York

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Great-Grandmother's Antique Engagement Ring
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:59 pm »
Pretty ring.  The worth of the diamond depends on the color, size, inclusions, etc.  You need to take it to a trusted jeweler and have him/her look at it under a loop.  It's an old setting.  My .02 pesos.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:05 pm »
Beautiful ring....railman's advice is well given.  Take it to a reputable jeweler.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum , AmandaH .

Nice vintage ring(s) .

Hope you get to keep them & pass them on yourself .

I can't really tell exactly what the cut is , from your images ; as others have said , a jeweler can do so in person .

When it comes to diamonds , their monetary value depends on ' The Four "c's" ' - Cut , Color , Clairity and Carat .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:35:56 pm »
Beautiful! Jewelry appraisals are very inexpensive. Just call around get the pricing and state clearly that you are doing this for insurance purposes before you go in so that you are not pressured to sell.
Antiqueaholic in recovery