Need Help Finding Prices For Antique Items

Furniture
0 (0%)
Silver
1 (100%)
Art
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Trouble Finding Prices On A Few Antique Items  (Read 2455 times)

gideon144k

• View Profile
Trouble Finding Prices On A Few Antique Items
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:07:39 pm »
Seeking An Honest Dealers Insight on a few antiques we have, unfortunately we can't upload any photos here but we do have a link where we keep our photos please visit this link:
http://photobucket.com/myvintagecollection

We were blessed with these by a good friend and we have been diligently seeking an honest offer and correct information but the people we have contacted have been trying to take advantage of us.

Please help us.

We would really appreciate it so much.

Contact Jeanette at 573-639-1928 or jsantiago215@gmail.com

Jeanette

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Trouble Finding Prices On A Few Antique Items
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:38 pm »
Hi Jeanette,
We usually post here on the forum so that we all learn from each other's knowledge. I am not a dealer, but I can help you on the silver coin purse. These can vary from about $50 to $250, depending upon the condition and the detailing of the case as well as what features it has inside- coin holders, mirror, powder holder etc.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »
Hi Jeanette, what do you mean they are trying to take advantage of you? If you need to sell all these things asap then you're not going to be able to get what you would think full value would be. But maybe you could find an antique store that takes consignments.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum , gideon144k .

Without some descriptive assistance from you , it's pretty hard to tell you much about your items , many of which do not appear to be antiques ( to my eyes , anyway ) .

How much you're attempting to sell your items for , if the values are unknown to you (as well as what folks in your area are paying for similar items - 'reasonable offers') is really a set-up for trouble , if you're trying to get the fair market value for all of your things (in my opinion) .

You've got quite a mix of stuff , and many dealers I know would only make offers on items they're reasonably sure they can either put in their own collections or resell at a small profit .... If you're trying to sell everything that you've got images of on 'photobucket' as a whole 'lot' (meaning = buy it all) .... well , that might just be a tough way to go .

The above may be why you may feel that nobody is offering enough $$$ for your tastes .

If you take the time to post images here , many forum members freely share their opinions and insights about what you'd like to know (most of the time , anyway) :) :) :) .

Another way to go is to check public websites  , like eBay & so on - research what folks are asking ($$) for like items ..... or just go visit shops in your area to scope out the prices , etc .

I will add my opinion (@ least in my neck o' the woods) that right now is a better time to be buying antiques , versus selling them (with a few exceptions) .... rough market conditions in the Northwest U.S.A.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:15:37 pm »
     Good point to make Syl.  The value of any vintage or Antique item is a very dynamic one,  True value of a item is what at least two people together are willing to pay.  There are several kinds of values.  First is the Insurance Value, Top dollar. (what would it cost you to replace the item when something happens.  Market value, is close to true value, here look around the net and you will get a ideal of value.  Here it is important to know the item as much as possible, History, maker, date and etc.  Then you have dealer price.  A dealer to operate a business must purchase a item for 50% of the market value, espically if they have a Antique shop.  This to cover wages and overhead, not to mention the profit.  
     The next consideration on value, is how quick you need to sell.  If you wish to yield market value for a item, Then consignment shop, Antique mall or online store is what it would take.  Quick and little under the market is the world of Ebay, though sometimes you can get lucky a get higher then market value, but usually about 50% to 75% of value.  Then you have take it to a dealer and he will do his best to get it cheap to cover his cost and college fund for the Child.  Most dealer I have talk with, when estimate for purchase is kind of not offer real info.  However when asked they may give you a better ideal of it true worth.  Talk with them about the item first and not let them in on the fact you are looking to sale until you have some ideal of value.  This is not a bad game, it the world of buying and selling.
     If not in a hurry to sale the item, surf around talk with us here and snoop a bit and the market value will become clear.  And with Maker, year and etc.  You could even get 90% of value on ebay, but the dealer well that is just how it works always consider 50% is the top they can offer.  

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:28 pm »
Gideon, for your Ansonia Clock you might want to scan through this site to see if you can find similar

http://www.antiqueansoniaclocks.com/Ansonia-Model-0001.php

gideon144k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:29:34 pm »
Hello Friends,

Thank you all for the advice and information, I will take what was shared by you all and use this information to further research before I sell anyway.

Thanks again Friends,

Jeanette

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 06:43:32 am »
Jeanette  I have recently sold several antiques through a well known auction house here in Mass. and also feel prices were not as they should be but in this economy book value is not what you will get. My home is busting at the seams with everything from all makes of china,depression glass,purses,haircombs,compacts,jewelery,the list goes on...... and I have decided to hang on to everything until the market turns around. Do your research on all pieces you have ,catalog it all with photos and hang on if you can.  Post photos of any pieces you have trouble researching here as many have wonderful expertise in many areas. This I think will be your best bet.
Good luck

gideon144k

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:58 am »
Hello Wendy,

Thank you so much for your advice, I do plan to hold on to the pieces I do have and continue to catalogue and research on them.  I believe the right buyer will come if I stay positive and hold on as you have mentioned.

Thanks Again,

Jeanette