Author Topic: Vase found in a garbage can from an apartment clean-out  (Read 1734 times)

chigato

• View Profile
Vase found in a garbage can from an apartment clean-out
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:52:11 am »
First off I would like to thank this forum and everyone who participates in it.  I've had this for 9 years and now finally I can try and contact someone about all my "stuff". Sights like this has helped so many people by sharing knowledge and information. Anyways, about 10 years ago some family members were cleaning out an apartment where and elderly southern gentleman lived. When I walked out of my garage next door there was this vase tossed in the garbage can. It looked nice so I brought it home and put it on my mantel . It's been sitting there ever since and I sure would like to know more about it if anyone has any ideas. There's a flower on the bottom with the initials D. W. Thanks.

chigato

• View Profile
Re: Vase found in a garbage can from an apartment clean-out
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:55:19 am »
I forgot to add the measurements. Maybe that would help ? It's about 9 1/2 inches tall and roughly 8 1/2 inches at the widest part. Thanks again.

chigato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:53:23 pm »
Well, since no one is replying , I guess that's why it was in the garbage. Oh well.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:34:03 pm »
Wish I could help you and I have looked at the photo's.
Looks like a nicely done small studio peice to me especially with those initials done like that.
Maybe someone with some knowledge in this area will key in.
People do check this stuff out so be patient and don't go bringing it to the curbside.
I think it deserves better.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:45:54 pm by Dean Perdue »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:40:52 pm »
    Also sorry I have no insight to offer, but agree with Dean and don't take it too the curb.   My first impression was it kinda looks like a Bloomrite mark, but when a look I found no evidence to prove it.  It is a nice looking Vase none the less and look good in a room of blue motif lets say.  I do see many Vase about this caliber at least from a visual standpoint that sells for 19.99 at the thrift shop.  Which for something found along the road side is a pretty good deal.     

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:07 am »
The flower looks "modern" in comparison with marks of old.  However....I have looked and cannot find one like this.  Believe also it was done by an individual.  Will continue to look along with other pursuits!

Still nice looking!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:36 am »
I agree with KC have searched many pottery books and marks and believe yours was done by someone  with talent but not for the  mass market. This does not mean it does not hold value They may have done a large variety of one of a kind pieces. to find the maker is the key. any local artists you know of?? This is one of those pieces that will take a lot of research follow any clues you can find.  good luck