Author Topic: Mary Magdalene Art  (Read 2478 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Mary Magdalene Art
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:59:18 pm »
Anyone know anything about the art in this frame?
It kind of has a gold toning to it.
Thanks

jondar

• View Profile
Re: Mary Magdalene Art
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:25:45 am »
Dean - I know nothing about art but your posting reminded me that two days ago I saw a one minute episode on TV of where a church somewhere was displaying a "relic" of Mary Magdalene which was her shin bone.  Can this be true?  And how did they get that?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!              Jon

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:22:09 am »
Thank you for replying Jondar and your apology is unnecessary I'm really glad you posted.

It's great to hear something related to this post and I don't know how this could be proved.
I'll have to look into this and see if there's more info on it's credibility.

It sounds like a publicity thing to me and if that's the case it's par for the course on how religion is run like a money making business. Kind of a shameful thing in my eyes depending on how the money is spent,and totally shameful if it's based on lies or exaggeration's.

It's no wonder many are losing faith in churches (not religion) with all the stories of greed,cover ups,scams,lies,and all the things a church is not supposed to represent.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:02:54 pm »
There are three levels of Christian reliquaries. First class relics are body parts, including hair and skin. Second class relics are something owned by the saint, such as a piece of a book or thier clothing. Third class relics are something touched by the saint, usually a tiny scrap of a larger piece of cloth or paper. Believe it or not, you can actually buy relics on Ebay. My understanding is that you're best off buying antique relics which still have the original certification paperwork with them.

There is a very informative Ebay guide on this subject here, which includes a lot of photos:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Catholic-Saint-relic-guide-for-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000001441698
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »
Thanks for that info TOTSS.

Once on the Late Show w/Jay Leno he showed a  photo of Jesus (not a drawing or art) that was autographed by Jesus Christ and was being offered by a seller on ebay.
Thought I seen it all.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:34:59 pm by Dean Perdue »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »
While on the subject heres another framed item that has handwriting on the back stating: 'Mary Magdalene at the savior's tomb.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 01:51:53 pm »
Mary Magdalene is really an interesting figure in history. I watched a documentary on her once and thought it was very interesting that translations of early texts do NOT say she is a prostitute, or a "fallen women". Apparently that was a later addition, made during a time when having a woman in a powerful position was considered unacceptable, according to the documentary.  It made me think of that documentary since it looks like she's topless in Dean's last posting.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:53:43 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:55:27 pm »
Intresting.
I wish I would have caught that documentary.
Any chance you might remember what station aired it TOTSS?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 01:28:40 am »
I want to say the History Channel, but I could be wrong. I don't even recall the name of it. :-(

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:27:37 am »
TOTSS - Thanks for that link, that is one very informative article.  I never realized relics were categorized into that many classes.  Several years ago I received direct mail from a Catholic church, can't remember where, maybe Indiana, called Our Lady of the Snows, asking for donation which I sent.  In return they sent me a candle, which was made from the candle stubs at Lourdes, with an icon of the Madonna in the center.  I guess you could call that a sort of relic  I still have it.