Author Topic: hovedvandsæg ???  (Read 1535 times)

skybox7

• View Profile
hovedvandsæg ???
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:21:30 pm »
Am I correct in assuming the enclosed pic is of a hovedvandsæg , a trinket sometimes given to one's intended in Scandanavian countries, that was used to carry perfumed water? And if so does anyone know the value of this item? It is silver with a gold wash inside, 3" tall and has a date etched on it of 1716.
Thanks.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: hovedvandsæg ???
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:59 pm »
However you pronounce it...sure looks like what you've got  ;)

http://www.silvercollection.it/pagina224.html

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=hovedvandsæg&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

If you check some of the links associated with the pics you may come across some posted values or prices.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:55:37 pm »
Is there any reason to think that yours is made of a fine metal? (silver, etc)  That would definitely make a difference in the value!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

skybox7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:06:02 pm »
I'm sure it is silver although I've been over it with a magnifying glass and can find no makers marks whatsoever, just the etched date and what may be the owners initials. It looks very nice when cleaned but I hesitate to polish it anymore for fear of loseing more detail.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:23:47 pm »
where is the etching?  I am betting that is an item number.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!