Author Topic: Is this real? Haitian I think  (Read 1117 times)

BobInVirginia

• View Profile
Is this real? Haitian I think
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:54:54 am »
Hi people, Need a bit of help here - I recently got this at an estate sale and believe it is a Haitian painting by Charles Dufranc. I did find a couple of his works online and this really looks like his - the signature matches anyway. I can not tell by looking at it if it is a print on canvas or a painting. My knowledge is way limited and i've been fooled before. This is approx 24 1/2 by 20 if that helps any. Even if it's 'fake' I really like it alot and I paid very little for it - like $20

Thanks in advance!
Bob

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Is this real? Haitian I think
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:57:29 am »
Nice painting .

I would not rule out the possibility of it being authentic & being worth around $700-$1k .

Copies/reproductions (& fakes) of his work do exist .

I'd suggest inspecting the painting with a 10x to 30x lens ; look for actual brushstrokes in all areas of the paint .
If you do find these everywhere in your painting , you can prob. rule out glicee (sorta high-tech means of reproduction) .

The sig on yours is more 'embellished' than others that I've seen in person , but that does not mean alot - just one more question to investigate/research .

You may also find other clues on the back of the canvas .

DuFrancs' paintings are very popular in France & Venezuela , where they sell fairly quickly .

Again , nice little painting , authentic or not !

BobInVirginia

• View Profile
Re: Is this real? Haitian I think
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:13:21 am »
Good gracious! Well I certainly will drag out the lenses and inspect this closely. Thank you so much for your response.