Author Topic: leather water stain  (Read 1930 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
leather water stain
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:24 pm »
Has anyone had any luck getting water stains out of leather?
I'd like to attempt to try on this old plaque.
Any idea's?
Thanks

waywardangler

Re: leather water stain
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:37:26 am »
Are you sure it is a stain from water and not the original discoloration from tanning?  Just a question as it is hard to tell from the photo.  Water staining in leather usually has to do with salts being left behind after the leather was wet and then the water evaporated.  Rewetting the edges of the stain and blotting it right away might lessen the stark difference in the contrasting line.  I would try it on a very small area first and see if that works.  The only experience I have is with shoes and they are not a work of art.  Good luck.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:40:45 am »
Thank you.I'll give it a try.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07:40 am »
It does matter if your item is aniline or non-aniline dye , as far as cleaning goes .
You might want to check out some research on this , prior to trying to remove the stain .

Cleaning , of course , will tend to remove patina .

If you're sure it's a water stain , use a new (& very well rinsed , since most manufacturers use a sanitizing agent on them) sponge .
I rinse out the sponge with tap water , then use several rinsings with distilled water .

Wring out your sponge until it's as dry as you can get it , then gently wipe (don't scrub) outward from the center of the water stain .
Try not to 'soak-down' the leather with water .
Allow your item to air-dry (not using heat) and consider using something like 'Tannery Vintage Leather Cleaner & Conditioner' on your leather , since almost any amount of water on leather causes some 'drying out' .

I've used this method , per the advise of my Art Conservator , with really good success (never on any suede leather , though) .

Old-timers used to remove water stains with a solution of vinegar & linseed oil .

Cool plaque , Dean .

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:05:58 pm »
Thanks Regularjoe2.
Great information.
I'll check into the aniline thing. Appreciate the direction on this.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:29:08 am »
Nice advice regjoe!

Really nice piece Dean!

Let us know!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!