Author Topic: Wrought Iron Resoration Project  (Read 5714 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Wrought Iron Resoration Project
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 10:52:44 am »
I agree with regularjoe on the fact that you see ironwork on churches and buildings that are 100's of years old and they are not painted.

Do your homework to find out the best possible venue for you and your window grate (my vote as well).  There are lots of great ideas here....

I would have been  hyperventilating if I had found this for sale........
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 12:22:18 am »
KC, I thought you might like to do some more "wishful" hyperventilating so this post is especially for you.

The following is what I have to momentarily stare at  ;D ;D every time I get caught at the "red light" in downtown Weston, WV, which is about 30 minutes from where I live.

The Citizens Bank of Weston in 1930 just after completion.

For above picture and 14 more pictures of the beautiful iron work, click the following url.

Photo by Samuel Yellin Co., courtesy of Claire Yellin, Samuel Yellin Metalworkers Co., Philadelphia. http://www.appaltree.net/aba/bank.htm

For a history of and an even better picture of the Bank, to wit:

"The Citizens Bank of Weston has been serving the people of Lewis and surrounding counties for over 114 years. In 1891 the bank received its charter. The doors were opened for business in February of 1892."  http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcgervey/3299890438/

Oops, here is the right side of Bank.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:29:58 am by cogar »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »
Wow.....Wow....(pant, pant, pant) Thanks for the pics cogar.

I have been known to stop at a garage sale and ask if the wrought iron door was for sale on the house...they took it off and sold it to me for $5.00 - said they never liked it anyway.  Brought it home and have it as a rose trellis in the back yard (It even has a solid brass door knocker in the middle - however not as cool as the hand door knocker that Talesof has!).  If only they knew it's worth...monetarily and sentimentally. (I did try and give them more!)

Really enjoyed the pics cogar!  Thanks!  The rope-work effect is very unusual - haven't seen that before.  The rosettes are truly a work of art!  Wow...nice site to see.  The great part is that you appreciate it - think of all the people who drive by and don't - missing out on beautiful pieces of workmanship and history!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 07:58:04 pm »
Beautiful building.
Any idea what year it was built?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 10:28:23 am »
As the captions above state, the bank was chartered in 1891 and the current building was completed in 1930, which means that ironwork has been there in place for 79 years.