Author Topic: OIL PAINTING JOE NI?SON? UNABLE TO MAKE OUT ARTIST NAME  (Read 1210 times)

agreeneyes

OIL PAINTING JOE NI?SON? UNABLE TO MAKE OUT ARTIST NAME
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:34 am »
I'VE HAD THIS OIL PAINTING FOR AROUND 20 YEARS AND I BELIEVE IT WAS OLDER WHEN PURCHASED AT A YARD SALE.  IT'S ON A CHEAP PINE FRAME AND THE PICTURE HAS LINES AND CRACKS IN THE PAINT WHERE IT HAS DRIED OUT.

THE ARTIST APPEARS TO BE JOE NI?SON? BUT I'M UNABLE TO MAKE OUT THE REST OF HIS LAST NAME.  POSSIBLY SOMEONE IS FAMILIAR WITH THIS ARTIST.  ONE CAN ONLY HOPE THEY HAVE A VALUABLE PAINTING. SO I'VE COME TO THE EXPERTS AGAIN TO GET THEIR OPINION. IS THERE A WAY TO DATE THIS PAINTING BECAUSE OF THE CONDITION OF THE PAINT DRYING OUT AND CRACKING?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:25:17 pm by agreeneyes »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: OIL PAINTING JOE A__SON? UNABLE TO MAKE OUT ARTIST NAME
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:05:48 pm »
I'd like to suggest a little photo-trick that might just make it possible for you (and folks on the forum) to read the artists sig , agreeneyes .

If your camera is capable of it , use different exposure settings , and varied lighting conditions (from the sides , top , bottom ; also less/more & soft/hard light) and play around with the images you make .

Doing so will often result in images just 'popping-out' details that are difficult for the naked eye to discern .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: OIL PAINTING JOE A__SON? UNABLE TO MAKE OUT ARTIST NAME
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:19:12 pm »
The cracking, is known as Alligatoring. common causes are High Humidty, & faulty painting. which could lead one to believe and amateur painted it. a side from the fact it could have been rolled up prior to frameing.

The staples 1930's or so.

agreeneyes

Re: OIL PAINTING JOE NI?SON? UNABLE TO MAKE OUT ARTIST NAME
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:44:32 pm »
Thank you, I was able to take better pictures of the signature and now it appears to be an Ni??n or m? I appreciate the information it appears I probably just have an older painting