Author Topic: Thanks for your help, here's one more piece . . .  (Read 2263 times)

HankTMan

• View Profile
Thanks for your help, here's one more piece . . .
« on: December 13, 2009, 07:29:30 am »
14K gold chain link bracelet.  8-3/4 inches long including clasp.  Only markings that I can see are a "14K" mark on the clasp.

Any clues about value . . . ? ? ?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Thanks for your help, here's one more piece . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:13:15 am »
It looks like you have a classic Victorian box clasp, but if I'm seeing it correctly in the first photo, I think you are missing a safety chain that would keep the bracelet from falling off the wrist if the clasp comes undone. These types of clasps tend to pop open when you lean your wrists on anything like a table or desk. 
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:37:49 am »
Looks to me like it's got a swiveling bar lock/safety clasp , rather than a chain .

As to value , I'd say it's worth its' weight in 14k gold (just my guess , though) .

The style seems more modern , than not .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:01 am »
At the moment spot price on 24K pure gold is $1115.10 per troy ounce.  The gold spot price fluctuates with the weakening/strengthening of the US dollar, other major countries currencies and the world's supply.  If your chain is 14K gold and not plated, it's worth what pure gold can be extracted.  To my way of thinking, there is no antique value in the chain you have pictured.  On the other hand, finely crafted 14K, 18K etc. gold jewelery made years ago with names like Louis Tifany, etc. is a horse of a different color.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:51:27 pm »
No way to determine age on this one that I can see....these have been around forever.....really need a reputable jeweler to give you a value (weight).

Like Talesof said...it is missing the much needed safety chain!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:26:06 am »
A question I've had for some time:  When the clasp is marked 14K does this always mean that the chain is also?  Also I know that real gold can be determined by an acid test by a jeweler, is this an expensive test?  I have a few items I would like to have this test done on.  Thanks.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
Good question , jondar .

Sometimes real fractional (8k,10k,12k,14k,18k ec.) gold content 'findings' are attached to jewelry items that are only non-gold-alloys/plated/junk metal .
In addition , sometimes 'manufacturers' use a karat stamp on things that are intentionally fake (as well as silver/platinum & other stamps) .

About your acid-test question - there are also non-destructive tests for gold content , esp. specific gravity test .
Some jewelers/goldsmiths still use touchstones for gold testing .

Most reputable jewelers are reasonable with their prices on gold testing , but I'd avoid high-end shops , as they seem to charge 'premium' prices for gold testing .
A telephone call to a few local jewelers in your area will establish what they're charging flat-rate , for testing .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:36:09 pm by regularjoe2 »

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I had a gold ring made quite some years ago, a local jeweler, whom I trusted and dealt with for years, sent the stones and the description of the ring I wanted made.  I neglected to ask what caret gold would be used.  The ring, tho excellent in workmanship, was unmarked.  I used to buy some jewelry from an older man, a retired pawnbroker, who swore he could tell the gold content of a ring just by feeling it.  Well maybe..........    Anyway I never found out what percent of gold was in the ring, I bought it before the price of gold went sky high.