Author Topic: Egyptian Brass tray with stand  (Read 5001 times)

pilot2b

• View Profile
Egyptian Brass tray with stand
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:32:20 pm »
This large brass tray and stand stood in my grandma's house while I was growing up.  I have been told it was given to her by a friend, but we don't know much about it.  I like it cause it looks really cool and I believe it is Egyptian.  Does anyone have any insight on the history of this or what it is worth?  Thanks!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Egyptian Brass tray with stand
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:53:05 pm »
Nice little unit , pilot2b .

I can't see much detail from your image of the brass tray itself , except for the 'Star of David' motif at its' center .

The hatchwork bindings on the wooden base/stand appear to be of a type made from leather/hide ... is this so ?

pilot2b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:32:28 am »
The stand is all wood.  The part that looks like it could be leather is actually small pieces of wood put together in a criss cross pattern.  If you click on my photos they will open up in a new window and be much bigger.  You should be able to see the details on the tray then. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:43:43 am »
Just for note about the "Star of David" (AKA "The Six Pointed Star")  it's original roots aren't Jewish - and this article briefly describes a book of research that began at York University  
The first mention of the star was in Amos 5:26 regarding the trek from Egypt to Canaan.
  http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/sixpointedstar.html

Authors Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas "The Hiram Key" also relate that the Star was first seen in Egypt!
Recently modern science has cracked the code of the Egyptian's writings to discover what the Star symbolized.   The Star of David was originally the drawing of two triangles or two pyramids.  One being
right side up, the other upside down.  The meaning to the Egyptians will seem very familiar to masons.  The upside down triangle represents darkness, the right side up one, light.  So the Star's original meaningsymbolized
being brought from darkness to light.

I know there is alot more information backing this up...but don't have time to go back to my research notes to get it today!  Sorry (and this was the easiest site with the main points in it!).

So....it is Egyptian as well!!!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:55:49 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:17:21 pm »
I don't really know anything about this piece but it really is beautiful. Very nice workmanship. Hopefully someone knows more about it. If I saw it in a store for sale I wouldn't be surprised if it were priced at several hundred dollars, maybe more.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:26:31 pm »
I agree with syl, a couple Hundred Dollars. would be a starting point.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:08:40 pm »
I can help you with this one. The woman with the curled hairdo and rather large ears in the second row out from the center is the Egyptian goddess Hathor (Pronounced Hat-hor) She is shown in her earliest form as a cow, which was a mother figure to the ancients. That is why she has big ears. She is primarily the goddess of love and beauty. If you look up the Temple of Hathor in Dendera Egypt, you'll see very similar motifs of Hathor at the top of some enormous pillars. Hathor was a popular ancient goddess and her image is on lots of tourist items.

On the outer row, the bird man is Horus. Horus is a falcon-headed god. He is one of the primary deities in ancient Egypt. He is the son of Osiris and had his eye plucked out during a battle with Set, the god of evil. He too was very popular among the ancients and you'll see him on almost every ancient structure in Egypt. Frequently you'll see his eye painted on boats and taxis even today, for good luck. It's an ancient tradition dating back thousands of years.

The person with Horus is holding an Ankh, the symbol of life. He's a prominent person in society who has died and he is being led to meet Anubis, the jackel-headed god who is holding the scales. The man's heart is going to be weighed upon the scale against a feather of truth. If his heart is light, he will be allowed to go into paradise. These motifs are from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, which is carved into the walls of tombs and is used as an instruction manual to help the dead through the afterlife. Again, it's a common tourist theme.  Under the scales is a god who is part hippo part crocodile part lioness known as "the devourer" he has another name I'll have to check on. He will eat the heart if it is heavy and the man doesn't make it into paradise.

The flowers between the two rows of figures are lotus flowers, another very common motif in ancient Egyptian design. You usually see them in profile, like the smaller ones are shown, not open from the center like the larger ones, which is interesting. A little bit of a departure from tradition there. These are in the center also, around the star figure.

It depends where you are in the world as to what it's value is. It is most definitely an item made for the tourist trade and brought over. Generally, tourist items purchased in Egypt sell for more in the west than they do in Egypt where they can be bought relatively inexpensively. For example, I bought an inlaid mother of pearl and onyx drum for $30 and I see them selling here for $300 in retail stores. So there can be a big mark-up.

The most likely place this would have come from is the Khan il Kahlili Bazaar, which is in Cairo and has a large brass market. It is not the only place you can get this kind of thing though. They can be sold all over the country at tourist destinations. The wooden carved legs are very commonly found too, there are some beautiful detailed carvings that come from Egypt. These are commonly seen in window and balcony screens. It is an old Islamic tradition, allowing women privacy in their homes.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:26:31 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 05:23:08 pm »
Here are your Hathor columns from Dendera (also spelled Dendara or Denderah etc)

Here is Horus in the Book of the Dead, guiding the deceased:

Here is the deceased being led to the scales for judgment in the Book of the Dead, with Anubis leading him, and Anubis shown again with the scales. The devourer is the common name for the creature waiting to eat the deceased person's heart, but technically Amemait is the actual name. The feather of truth that the heart is weighed against comes from the goddess Ma'at, Goddess of Truth. You can see her pictured as a decoration at the apex of the scales in the scene below:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:25:57 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

pilot2b

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 06:14:17 pm »
thank you so much for all the great info.  I am definitely going to print it off and put it with the tray so my kids have that info someday.  I have no intention of selling this and it is one of my favorite pieces of furniture.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »
I'm glad the stories are helpful. I spent a lot of time studying Egyptology and used to attend a lot of lectures at UC Berkeley. It is fascinating stuff that can become quite an addiction. I ended up going to Egypt twice, once with an Egyptologist who worked under Dr. Zahi Hawass, who is the director/curator of Giza and many of the other major monuments in Egypt. I actually got to meet Dr. Hawass twice, once at a private lecture in Egypt, the other time when he was here in CA. The Temple of Hathor at Dendera is one of my favorite places in the world. If you ever get the chance, go.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:05:53 am »
Good info & stories , talesof7c's .

Great images of them doin' that funky hand-jive , too .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:00 am »
Born in Arizona... Moved to Babylonia...