Author Topic: Ceramic Napoleon Statue on horseback  (Read 2735 times)

joensue

• View Profile
Ceramic Napoleon Statue on horseback
« on: December 19, 2009, 03:25:19 pm »
I have been trying to research this ceramic statue that belongs to my father in laws estate.  i am unable to deciper the autograph on it.  I have found the same item listed on ebay for $750.00, but the poster admitted they have not researched the artist.  If anyone knows anything about this - or who the artist is so I can research this piece further I would greatly appreciate it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Ceramic Napoleon Statue on horseback
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:04:55 am »
I first looked at it like it was a signature and was confounded by it.

Then when I sat back it looks like G Ermany (otherwise Germany).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:27 am »
The signature looks like it is written in French Script which makes sense as the piece is a statue of Napoleon.  As this was written in soft porcelain (bisque?) and then fired or baked, the letters are distorted to some degree.  It does look like G Er****y or En****y, so I would look for known French porcelain makers with those marks.  Just my line of thinking.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:31:39 am »
I was guessing it was Napoleon.  I just looked at France porcelain marks and did not see it so maybe this is an artist signature instead of a factory mark?  Are there any other one or two letter marks on this piece...anywhere?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 12:44:52 pm »
I agree it look's like painted Bisque. the translation spelling for germany won't match in french. so it's likely the designers name.

joensue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:01:59 pm »
I have not been able to locate a factory mark anywhere on the piece.  I've tried (at least) I think to decipher the signature and have tried googling anything similiar, but haven't located anything except that one posting on ebay listing this for 750.00.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 07:58:05 pm »
From the eBay listing are these additional marks from that similar statue.  Maybe this will help someone decipher it for joensue.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:04:24 pm »
Wayward, The name on the plaque in your post is Guiseppe Armani who is a well known maker of figurines and I believe still in business.
Can't say if that's the name on the Napoleon figurine.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35:33 am »
Thanks syl.  This exact figure is here http://www.instappraisal.com/node/1555/print with hanging tags and original information but no value.  The marks that are blue are a stylized crown over an 'n' that stands for capodimonte, a famous style of porcelain.  The figure is modeled after Napoleon Crossing the Alps (also known as Napoleon at the Saint-Bernard Pass or Bonaparte Crossing the Alps) a very famous oil painting.  A search of Guiseppe Armani figures for Napoleon turned up empty.  This figure supposedly dates from after 1980.

joensue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:28:02 am »
thank you all very much I would have never gotten that name from this piece. My research continues.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 04:49:39 pm »
There is an identical figurine listed on ebay with a buy it now price of $375.