Author Topic: antique book by John Fleetwood value help  (Read 3616 times)

kailalennartz

• View Profile
antique book by John Fleetwood value help
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »
We have an antique book sold only by subscription titled the light of the world: a popular repository of Religious Knowledge.  It was published in 1873 by william flint and co. we can not find information on it anywhere. it is a leather bound book, with gold detailing, including a pyramid with a raibow looking arch over it, an moon with a crown around the middle and stars around it.  any info would be helpful.  thaks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: antique book by John Fleetwood value help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
Welcome Kailalennartz to the forum.  Really sounds like a intresting book.  Sorry I have little knowledge in the Books, but would love to see a pic of it, especially the Art of symbology you described.  I think someone here can help you on this one.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:50 pm »
The only thing I can find so far is that the company was in Philadelphia.  Do show that they are referenced for another book by Rolander Guy McClellan, "The Golden State" 1876.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »
I came up with one for $80.00 at abebooks.com not sure if it is the same as yours but just type in the author & title. hope this helps
I also believe John Fleetwood was a Reverend.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:15:30 pm by wendy177 »

kailalennartz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 08:13:43 pm »
when i looked at the one on abe books, it was not the same one.  the publisher is different.  here  is the book, it was published by william flint in 1873, written by rev. john fleetwood.  it has over 200 choice engravings and was sold by subscription only ( at least that is what the title page says)

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:53:21 pm »
I'm the book collector around here :D That is a very interesting cover! It looks like (from what I can tell) that the spine is messed up pretty bad. That's going to hurt the value of a book like this in a big way. It's probably not a very sought after title in itself, and being from the 1870's it's not as "old" to a collector as it sounds to most folks who don't collect old books. I've got books from the 1600's that I paid very little money for. It depends on a lot of factors. Religious books as a subject tend to be worth less. 

It does have a nice cover, and if there are not big pieces of the spine missing you might have something that is somewhat valuable monetarily based on its aesthetics. No old book is ever without value, even if you put it up on Ebay for $10.00 and no one bids on it (I'm not suggesting this would happen with your book). You may not be able to retire on it, but it's a great thing none the less!

kailalennartz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »
its just unique.....and I posted it on here because i cant find information on it anywhere....I have tried every web site immaginable, and you can find either the author and title together, but a different publishing company, or the author and publisher and a different title.  I recieved the book for free from a family member, so i do not have any money in it. half the spine is missing, but i think it was done intentionaly by a previous owner because there is actually pages from a different book used to make the spine....part of me wanted to peel back the rest of the spine to see what the papers are, but i know that any value left in it would probably be ruined by doing that.  the cover intrigues me, because it has not only the cross and religious aspect but also a moon with a crown and stars at the bottom and a pyramid with a rainbow-ish arch above it at the top, which seem to me not to fit....like astrology, not christianity. IDK what ever its value, it is interesting none the less, and it has more than 200 beautiful pictures in it protected by tissue paper (or the equivalent of that time period). here is a picture of the spine and what is below it.

* we also found in the book a silouette of a lady....the silouete is cut out of the paper....its thin almost tissue like paper, and a needlepoint "Thy will be done" book mark, if this interests any one else.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:42:54 pm by kailalennartz »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:18 am »
Jon Fleetwood has quite a few publications out there...."The Life of Our Lord And Saviour", etc.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 01:31:16 am »
Thanks for a look at the cover, very unusual to say the least.  I'm sure this was a special book to it's original owner.  I would have to say the symbology is a bit out there, but look christian to me.  The pyramid is actually the symbol of the trinity.  I did try and search for information a bit on the Rev. himself to maybe target a particuliar Christian sect he may have belong to, but to no avail.  There was a few mystic Christian sect at this time.  Have you read any of the book, for clues as to what branch of the christian he belongs? 

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:37 am »
I think I remember you asking about your copy on the eBay forums and I replied with a copy on addall. Probably the same copy discussed here. We have been selling books on the ABE site for 10 years now and have a few listed. It has been said by many that “just because a book is old, does not mean it is valuable”. There are many factors to determine (as Skinny talked of). The overall condition, cover and text. The rarity of the book, subject matter, copies printed, author, Illustrator, type of binding, the writing itself. We have ‘new’ books that don’t sell. They are poorly written or have been written and rewritten.

Then there are books like the family bible that you would never put a price on. In a book store the bible is a hard sell, (no other book has been printed more often), but the sentimental value of a family bible or any other book, far outweighs the monetary value, and the cost of rebinding a tattered cover can run in the hundreds so you have to determine value ‘as is’ or after it’s restored.

Famous authors, 1st editions, dust jackets, many factors to help determine values. Yours, as you state is unique, and does have value but has some condition problems and also keep in mind that just because you might find another copy and that copy is listed with a high value, it is still on the book sellers shelf. Value is also determined by what the buyer is willing to pay. Sorry, I do ramble on. I do love books. I have a hard time tossing a book even if it’s worthless. I send a lot of books to good will. Enjoy your find.

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:35:38 am »
Great advice and info Tim!