Author Topic: English Court Game?  (Read 2382 times)

VernOtis

• View Profile
English Court Game?
« on: December 26, 2009, 05:36:26 pm »
Does anyone know what this table is?  My mother in law purchased it about 40 years ago.  She calls it an "English Court Game" but too me it looks like a skittles table that uses a spinning top to knock down pins.  She wants to get rid of it but we have no idea what it may be much less what it is worth. 

The figurines were covered in gold flake but they are fairly worn now (as I think the pictures show). 

The tables dimensions are 35" by 71" and it is 32" tall.

Anyone ever seen something like this before?  Any information or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: English Court Game?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:52:52 pm »
What interesting gaming table! I would think that the Fleur de Lis would indicate French rather than English origins.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:21:25 pm »
That IS neat! I would have expected more wear at the release point of the top or spinner. (in the picture there appears to be no wear at all.)
Has this been refinished recently?
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:02:26 pm »
What's interesting is the fact. it is french. and it looks colonial revival of which that time frame ran here in the states to 1920.

VernOtis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 10:56:49 pm »
dontbe - it has not been refinished since it was purchased 40 years ago.  At one point my mother in law looked into having the gold redone.  According to my husband no one was ever allowed to play with the table so that may explain why it doesn't show much wear.  Although in recent years the grandchildren have played it a few times.

D&B - Please forgive my ignorance, but I'd love to hear more about what indicates the colonial revival time frame.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far!  I especially appreciate the direction regarding it being more French than English...that makes alot of sense.  Y'all are awesome!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:40:24 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 05:17:59 pm »
http://www.mastersgames.com/cat/table/toptafel.htm

Toptafel

"This game is thought to have been originally a Western European game - it's still played in France and Benelux where it's known as Table à Toupie and Toptafel, respectively. Nowadays, however, it seems to be more popular in North America where it's usually called just 'Skittles'. The idea is to spin a top into the game where it buzzes around the game surface and into the rooms. Points are scored AND deducted by knocking over skittles - whoever collects the most points wins!"