Author Topic: Shreve & Co. 1895 sterling full silverware set (Gorham?)  (Read 2214 times)

Melodician

• View Profile
Shreve & Co. 1895 sterling full silverware set (Gorham?)
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:30 am »
I'm looking to find out a somewhat accurate value that could be placed on a full dining set of sterling silverware made by (Gorham?) Shreve & Co. (apparently an old native San Fransisco designer) I have a collection that appears to be a full set of eating utensils patented in 1895. The silverware is very beautifully designed and crafted and properly aged (good condition, no attempts to 'restore' and possibly ruin the quality of these vintage pieces).

On Ebay I've seen quite a few smaller sets ranging from 4 spoons for $200, to 7 ice cream forks for $300, the tongs for ungodly amounts of money, a single lemon fork and a single soup spoon both for $50 ea., 3 butter knives $50 for all 3, to give an example of what I've gathered so far. I'm curious how much a complete dining set would approx. be worth, if possible on multiple real-world market levels (i.e. value to a passionate collector, value to a general antique collector, value to a random private party, value sold to an antiques shop etc..). Any help is appretiated!

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Shreve & Co. 1895 sterling full silverware set (Gorham?)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:21 am »
Pictures?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:29:51 am »
Pattern name would be one of the important factors in the value of your set.  If you can get a pic of the pattern on the handles, this will help.  Generally a full set of sterling will fetch $1000.00 at least with box and standard serving pieces included.  Of course the more serving and non standard items in the set will raise the value.    Now for the sad news is that the prices you are seeing on Ebay are for pieces.  Selling items from the set will yield much more value.  People with that set already will pay good money to add to their set.  To sell a Full set is usually much harder, Their are a few who are seeking out full set for use for special occasions.  However their are more like me that collect flatware like coin collectors collect coins.  After I have a good sample of a pattern, I seek out a pattern I don't have yet.  This is more so with silverplate then sterling.  Once again We would have to see or know the pattern name to pinpoint a good value on your set.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:26:53 pm »
Pattern makes the difference in $$$$$$$...condition as well!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!