Author Topic: Antique Cast Elephant Sculpture  (Read 1674 times)

mhanson76

• View Profile
Antique Cast Elephant Sculpture
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:31:10 pm »
I don’t know much about this item. It was purchased in Chicago in an art store in 1937 by my grandfather after he came to the states. It is a pot metal casting of an elephant. The casting has no marks on it, or none that I could find after a thorough examination. It is roughly 18” tall and 24” long. The rumor in my family is that it was part of the Columbian exposition, or at least that’s the story that has been handed down. 

I really wish I could tell you all more, but that’s all I know,

Any help identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Antique Cast Elephant Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:31:14 pm »
Are the tusks painted or ivory?  Check for very small maker's marks on the underbelly or feet.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:40:13 pm »
There was a display of taxidermy elephants displayed at the Columbian Exposition and they certainly do resemble yours. I wonder if yours was something that was sold there or if it was part of a display? Here are the photos of the elephants at the Expo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/field_museum_library/3348871565/ on the same page is a link to the Field Museum, which I think would be the first place I would try contacting for info about the elephants at the Expo and how your lil' guy might be related to them:
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/urbanlandscapes/ They apparently have the original glass negatives of the elephants in their collection and may have more info on them.

He's terrific by the way, love his looks and personality and I'm usually not a big fan of elephant statues. But he's absolutely charming!

Here's one of many photos on the upper link:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:43:30 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mhanson76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:09:08 am »
Railman: the tusks were painted white and the rest of the piece is painted a dull dark gray. I have gone over it in pretty good detail looking for any indentifying marks, including on the feet and belly, but haven’t found anything as of yet.

Tales: thanks for the links, I think I will try the folks over at the field museum.