Author Topic: Italian Engraving Circa. 1780's S. Tofanelli /Plate Mark  (Read 2499 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Italian Engraving Circa. 1780's S. Tofanelli /Plate Mark
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:42:15 pm »
I have this engraving that is from the Italian engraver Stephanus Tofanelli (Stefano Tofanelli 1752 / 1812).  Measuring approx. 25" X 20" (image).  It appears to be authentic.  Credits-Stephanus Tofanelli delin, Claudius Gelee vulgo Lorense pinx,Joan Volpato direxit.

While examining the engraving I found a plate mark in the lower right hand corner of print.  Could this mark help in identifying the time period this print was struck?   I took it to a framing shop and was told the mark was a paper mark indentifying the type of paper?  Conflicting information I read mentioned plate marks for this type of engraving.  The print does not look like it was trimmed too much and the mark is on edge.  I held it up to light to see the pattern and could not determine the type of paper.  The paper has a thick texture to it.  Not much fading though it was framed with the print on top of mounting.  The mounting showed some signs of fading, but print looks good.  Very little discoloration.  I was hoping you guys could help in indentifying the plate mark or paper mark.  No many experts in my area.

I did my research and also wanted to provide some info to the group.
Title: IUNIPERI GRAVIS UMBRA.NOCENT FRUGIBUS ET UMBRA ITE domum ..
Stefano Tofanelli is a listed known artist that has had 15 works of art offered at auction to date, 3 watercolors and drawings, 3 prints and 9 paintings.  His talent as a draughtsman quickly attracted attention in the 18th Century; he was sought after by the engravers Giovanni Volpato and Raphael Morghen to make copies of works by Old Masters.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Italian Engraving Circa. 1780's S. Tofanelli /Plate Mark
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »
I sure cannot tell much from your image of the embossed mark , DANTE% - way too blurry to see details .

I'd suggest taking a photo of the mark , with your light source at a low angle (not photographed thru the glass - photo should be of the actual surface of the paper) ; this will tend to bring out some detail (shadows help) in the embossed monogram image .

I'd also like to say that it was the custom , in past eras , for owners/collectors of prints to have their own tool for identifying/marking a print as 'from the collection of (& etc.)' - sorta like an earlier-day anti-theft device .

Embossing / monogramming marks/tools were also used by others too .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:54:47 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:13 am »
Thank you fancypants for your suggestion.  After numerous attempts I am updating some more photos.  It's a little difficult to get a clear image.  Hope this helps.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »
Much better pic of embossing mark there!  Great advice fancypants!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »
Tried playing with it, but didn't accomplish much.....really not a lot of detail to pull out.