Author Topic: Ash Tray Info  (Read 2999 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Ash Tray Info
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:30:04 am »
I was intrested in what you would call this (dogs,wolves,hounds..) or what style (if any) it is in?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:32:20 am by Dean Perdue »

waywardangler

Re: Ash Tray Info
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:48:50 am »
I am leaning towards Russian wolfhounds.  Maybe 30s or 40s?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:38:02 am »
Now if that isn't the ultimate "Man Cave" accessory, I don't know what is!!

The bodies look like greyhounds or whippets to me, but with the lolling tongues, they definitely have an aggressive, hunting dog or wolf kind of look to them. Major machismo goin' on with this one!

It's interesting how people react nowadays to smoking items. I'm not a smoker and I tend to kind of recoil from anything of the kind. But there are exceptions and this is one of them.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:56:26 am »
If I was Mao Tse Tung , I'd call it "Yankee Running Dog" .

This kind of item is not my forte , but I'd call it Sport Dog-Art-Deco .

Es Muy Macho , Dean !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:07:38 pm »
Russian wolf hounds it is!  They have graced many items as decoration....I have a 100+pound bronze wolf hound statue staring at me right now!

Their graceful lines and muscular bodies help any "man cave" be complete!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »
    Ashtrays are something to keep a eye of for.  I read just recently about how Ashtrays are starting to have a really big collector base.  Since the popularity of smoking is going down, and those that do usually smoke outside.  I have been buying up the cooler looking ashtrays I find for cheap since I read this.  Haven't quite got the value down.  However give this a decade or so, and the coolest of these items will be at a premium in value.  After a couple of ashtray post has shown up, maybe a bit more looking into the subject is due.  Dean you have a cool Ashtray.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »
Thanks all for nailing down what type of creatures these are.

KC- I love the look on your bronze. Like you better think twice before coming any closer until he lets you.

Ironlord- I kind of agree that some of these are a value, especially with how smoking is becoming a crime.
I've seen some insanely detailed deco smokers stands with lighted bases and all the bells and whistles that were only a couple hundred dollars and think these have to be a great investment.

Funny how it used to be fashionable and so accepted.
I remember my junior high school had a school designated courtyard outside where all the kids would go in between classes to smoke there cigarettes as teachers would just look on.How things have changed.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:09:07 pm »
I can remember floor ashtrays in doctor's waiting rooms. :o

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:20:07 pm »
the Handle on this one makes it. some what unique. rarely see that type of handle.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:39:55 pm »
I can remember floor ashtrays in doctor's waiting rooms. :o

LOL.
Talk about creating business.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
The word "Man Cave" used in this thread popped into my mind recently making me think back to this post.

Accompanying my son on his 1st house hunt we came across the ultimate 'man cave'.

This house is complete with a speaker system throughout and a chin-up bar mounted directly to the living room walls and it's the 1st 'selling point' you see as you enter.

As our tour progressed it only got better with the small bathroom having a full 8 panel see through glass door.

Then came the bedroom in the basement.
Mirrors behind the bed area and on the ceiling above it .
2 sliding entry doors with a huge circular shape cut out for that 70's style and if this wasn't enough carpeted walls complete with a secret hidden room.

This property has a deck and pool in the backyard that backs directly up to a park that used to be the party place until the sheriff got serious and started patrolling with horses,ATV's,foot patrols,and even had to use a helicopter at one point.

Think if he gets this one the ashtray has definitely found a worthy residence.