Author Topic: New antiques #3  (Read 2424 times)

GeorgeS

• View Profile
New antiques #3
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:35:55 pm »
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and had a few questions. My mother recently died and among a few of her belongings there were some things that no one knew the history or purpose of. I took quite a few pictures (there are four pieces) and I was hoping you guys could take a look and tell me more about them.

This next item is a knife and fork set that's unhallmarked. It is marked "STERLING" and then right under "16"- both of those marking are on the handle where the monogram traditionally is (these are unmonogrammed). In addition, the "1" in 16 is very odd, it looks almost hand carved (though exactly the same on both of them) whereas the "6" does not. Hopefully you can tell me who made them and when, and maybe even the name of the pattern.

Thanks Again!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: New antiques #3
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »
     Nice serving set.  Are the only markings sterling?  I have several books I can browse to find the pattern, but if we can id the maker it would take minutes rather then hours.  They appear to be Hollow handled, and most likely was stainless Handle on the Knife.  If I was to place a era on the set based on looks it would appear to be early 1890's to early 1900 in style, but once again with only sterling to go on, the search is on. 

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:55:57 pm »
Yes, unfortunately "STERLING" and "16" are the only markings on either piece. And yes, you're completely right! The serving set is hollow (weighted, you can here something, like sand, rattling inside when you shake either piece) and I don't know if the blade is stainless, but the fork blade is definitely not sterling (it is rusted a bit, so perhaps steel). Thanks for your help!

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »
Here's a much larger and more detailed picture: http://b.imagehost.org/0194/Antiquesfeb_14_2010_046.jpg

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:00 am »
Really like this set.  Pattern looks like that found in very early 1900's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:06:31 pm »
It's kind of hard to tell, but do you think the knife is supposed to be curved?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:49 pm »
Yes!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:23:56 pm »
One would think, and I thought so myself at first, but upon closer inspection, especially at an angle, it looks very bent.

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:00:08 pm »
Sorry, I meant the handle, not the blade.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:34:07 pm »
From the picture it looks like it is meant to be curved. If you could take a picture of the top of the piece, between the blade and the handle that might provide for a more accurate analysis.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
I have seen older pieces in the past have a curved blade such as this!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:43:53 am »
The blade, yes, but the handle? I've seen handles curved but maybe this one is bent, who knows :P As I said, posting some pics of the top where the handle is bent would help.