Author Topic: Woven animal hair or fiber such as jute or hemp doll poncho and skirt  (Read 6412 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Woven animal hair or fiber such as jute or hemp doll poncho and skirt
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:29:29 pm »
Looks like some Pacific N.W. 'first-tribes'  items I've seen , made from cedar fibers (early-day rain garb) .
Today would be a good one , here , for such gear !
 ;D

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:25:19 am »
Oh I'm sorry. I must have missed that. I live in the land of the Seminole Indian. North Florida, Jacksonville to be exact.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »
That is what I was wondering....I was born/raised in Florida and went to see the Seminole tribes and their ware growing up.  They did lots of these items out of Palmetto, corn husk and sweetgrass.  I can still sing the songs that we learned while visiting there and have taught my children (they were real excited about this!  Ha).  They are the only tribe that never signed a peace treaty!

We grew up making lots of things out of Palmetto.  Make great skewers for shish kabobs and smores! 

Lots of my family still lives in Seminole County.

http://www.semtribe.com/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »
Well I believe I have finally narrowed down what this is. It is a small representation of a Japanese straw rain cape known as a mino. It gets it's name from the Mino region of Japan. Thanks for all of your help, Dirk. Here is a link to what one looks like.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »
Nice job.  Looks good to me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!