Author Topic: Brass and Marble Rotary Phone  (Read 9582 times)

KitN

• View Profile
Brass and Marble Rotary Phone
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:23 pm »
Irs make of Brass with a marble base, I do admit to have been looking for rotary phones in particular, but I never imagined I would find one attached to its own base! Ive seen some regular plastic ones yea but those weren't worth .02 cents to me. I wanted the cradle rotary phone made of metal darn it! And this one fits the bill! Its heavy as ****, but you want to know what even awesome about it?! It rings! Someone did mix up the wires on the plug in though so it doesn't call out or pick up (doesnt register) but thats an easy fix.

The phone cord is supposed to thread through the base and come out the bottom for a discreet look, but the guy got a bit over zealous to see if it works that he accidentally pulled it back though the top, but again easy fix!

It also has a gorgeous inlay pattern in the brass as well that runs throughout, even up to the marble top, and has clawed footsies.

I havnt decided if Im going to keep it or resell it, but I do know its worth over what I paid for in brass and marble alone, but it would be horrid to scrap it!

BUt aside from all that rambling I cant find anything about it! I would love to find out more about it, its origins, age, etc.  Its a little on the gaudy side decor wise, but im head over heels in love.

And the makers mark.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Brass and Marble Rotary Phone
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:45:10 am »
Congrats on your new phone.

Don't you love it when you buy something like this knowing full well it's a little on the gaudy side but love it all the more because of it. ;)

What a great change of pace to be talking on one of these versus a bluetooth.
Got to have a feeling of style knowing the phone you use is actually a piece of furniture that you could set a drink on or even your spare change and it has it's own pen holder.

Sorry I don't have info on it's age or origins but wanted to say I think it's cool.
Seeing good old fashioned simplicity in this high tech world is refreshing.
Happy there are still a few who enjoy it.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:00 am »
I would try phoneco in Galesville, Wisconsin ...http://www.phonecoinc.com

They restore/update/sell/etc. old phones of all types.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:07:33 am »
This phone looks like it would have been in an upscale hotel lobby. Very nice.

KitN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:00:22 am »
I sent them an e-mail so hopefully i get a response. I never thought finding info on a phone would be so hard. I figured a few minutes on google and I would be set, but I guess not!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »
Kitn, have you ever opened the phone up?  Usually there are some identifying marks/information for the manufacturer.  Are you in the USA?

I might also recommend that you contact these below - sending pics - to see if they are knowledgeable of your particular phone!

http://atcaonline.com/  Antique Telephone Collectors Association
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:45:23 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
I agree, it is really fun to see old things finding new, useful lives in modern homes.
Hmm... that could be a fun separate topic!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KitN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:20 pm »
Just sent them an e-mail, so far most of my e-mails that i have sent have gone unanswered or no information that Im looking for.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:42:46 am »
Welcome to the forum , KitN .

Sometimes it just takes time .

It's not unusual for 'cold-call' emails to go unanswered ... it makes the answered ones that much more delightful .

I go along with others here in the idea of poking around inside of your item , perhaps to dust it out  , along with looking for more info/marks , etc .

Often a little clue is the one that counts .

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:38:38 am »
Never seen anything like this one. 

What a beauty!!

Good find!!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:01:38 pm »
I found one like yours , currently advertised on craigslist , in the Pierce County (Wa.) area for $125.00 (OBO) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 07:26:08 pm »
:)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KitN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »
"These were imports from the 1980's after the break-up of the Bell System when we were able to own our own phones that were not part manufactured for Bell. There were several models, including a desk top elephant phone and a floor standing phone without the table. I used to see tons of these at a brass "warehouse" at our local flea market twenty years ago who sold brass imports from, I think, India but I'm not sure of the origin."

I finally got a response as well as a rough questimate from anywhere from 100-300 in value depending on the buyer.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 05:49:55 pm »
KitN....just for grins....who responded?  Nice to know someone took the time to help out!

Is yours the one on Craigs list?

KitN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:45 am »
I think that last link, atc? Not 100% sure because it was a response form a different e-mail, and nope, not mine. I havnt decided on what im going to do with mine yet.