Author Topic: Oil painting....Millet?  (Read 1743 times)

Gizmo

• View Profile
Oil painting....Millet?
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:52:54 pm »
This landscape oil painting is done in dusky blue/greens. It measures about 3' long by 2' in height. The right hand corner appears to have the name Millet signed on it. The back has the number 3293 and $39.00 written in black marker (might be from a sale or later auction, or the piece might be a replica). It seems that this piece came out of storage from somewhere as it has a healthy layer of dust and some really fun cobwebs on the back. There is a lot of texture in the painting and some crackling also appears to be setting in. I've tried to pin this to a certain artist but I keep coming up at dead ends. The signature just doesn't seem to match. Any help would be very, very nice!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Oil painting....Millet?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:15:44 pm »
Hey Gizmo .

I'd say look for a modern artist ....

your item seems to be done in a 'Bob Ross' style - fan brushes , palette knife , etc .

Gizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:27:27 pm »
Hey Gizmo .

I'd say look for a modern artist ....

your item seems to be done in a 'Bob Ross' style - fan brushes , palette knife , etc .

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Unfortunately all the artists I've turned up so far seem to be more from the 1800's or early 1900's. I think I fell in love with the fact this looked like a piece that would be above my grandparents' mantle. Very woodsy and folky.

Gotta love them happy little trees.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:30:14 pm by Gizmo »

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:03:16 am »
That really is a nice painting of a winter woodsy scene. It would really be nice to pin down the artist. The signature does look like Millet but there are a lot of artists named Millet. How did you get the painting? Do you have any history at all?

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:34:04 am »
After looking at this again I think it is one of those 'starving artist' type paintings where no painting is over $49.99.

Gizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:20 pm »
Yeah, there's not much of a backstory to this one I'm afraid. I found it at the back of a thrift shop and couldn't decide whether it was really good or really not so much. You might be right with the starving artist thing. Quite frankly, I have a very bad habit of collecting starving artist art. I'm running out of walls to hang them on.

I don't get many landscape pieces though, so I'm not familar with what to look for. I mainly scrounge up old Japanese brushwork, so this was a pretty different buy for me.

Thanks for the help, but I guess I might just not have enough to go by. I've searched different arrangements of letters that the name might be too, but with no luck. Maybe M. something? Not sure, but it's been a fun hunt!