Author Topic: Tiny metal purse  (Read 4465 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Tiny metal purse
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:24:08 am »
This tiny metal purse is 3” x 2” and made of very, very thin metal, bout the thickness of a sheet of paper, and which a magnet will stick to.

The pictures were taken in the morning Sunlight which distorted its exterior color which is actually a very dark grey. The chain and clasp do have a bright finish as is pictured. The inside is lined in a green material as can be seen in the 2nd picture and which is still in excellent condition. There is no name, no marks, no nothing that might indicate who made it.

This purse belonged to the wife’s grandmother (1888-1948) and the wife figured it was possibly given to her when she was a child or she inherited it from her mother or whoever.

Any info as to its maker, its actual age or its value would be appreciated.

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Tiny metal purse
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:13:58 am »
I suppose it could be a child's but I'm liking it to a ladies card case carried in the Victorian era by fashionable ladies and chain to be carried.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 06:01:29 pm »
Cogar, got a mighty nice piece of history there.  Do believe it is the coin purse.

Funny how women could carry such small purses and be happy (compared to the suitcases that some carry today!)!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »
Cogar, got a mighty nice piece of history there.  Do believe it is the coin purse.

Funny how women could carry such small purses and be happy (compared to the suitcases that some carry today!)!

Excuse me??!!! 

I'll have you know my backpack coordinates perfectly with my steel toed boots!   ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »
Nice grape motif t.m.p. , cogar .

My guess would be a $bill purse ... 'bout the right size .... perhaps too many coins would have dented the thin metal ?

Just wondering if the chain is also 'magnetic' ....

Nice backpack & s.t. boots , sapphire (ducking my head) .  :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:28:03 pm by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »
Not including all females in that one sapphire!

The other day my daughters and I laughed so hard we almost cried at a local store.  This lady was dressed up....and her coordinating purse literally would have been a typical suitcase!   She definitely didn't have young children to tote for and....she was having to walk lopsided to compensate for the weight!  She was in front of us at the check out and we could plainly see that all she had in it was her wallet, makeup and checkbook!  Similar to the one below only the base was at least 24" in depth!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:48:18 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:49:32 am »
Thanks much to all, and "yes" RJ, the chain is also "magnetic".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:31:02 pm »
Explain the term "magnetic" in this sense please.

In other words...a magnet would attract it...or it is a magnet?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:16:43 am »
Explain the term "magnetic" in this sense please.

I think, "in the sense" it was asked and answered it means the chain is not made of  silver. ;D ;D ;D

Sorry bout the confusion, I should have splained it better.

When the wife first showed it to me the same day I posted the pictures the first thing I said to her was "get one of those little refrigerator magnets for me".

Cause it sure looked to me like something made of silver that had lain around untouched for a hunnert years. But it wasn't. :'( :'(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:14:10 pm »
Thanks cogar!  They have done some interesting things over the years....so, I wouldn't put it past them to have a couple of magnetized links on the chain!  :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 05:39:01 pm »
I should have phrased the question : Is the chain ferrous metal ? - instead of the way I did .

My bad .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:03:51 am »
But Joe, our "bad" turned out to be "good". Good as in "educational" for others learning what were were talking about. Maybe even learned a "trick-of-the-trade", ..... always carry a little magnet with you when out shopping for "junk". ;D ;D

ceevee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:35 am »
I, too, had one from my grandmother.  It was her snuff purse.  I sold it for approximately $150.00.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »
I like that point as well cogar/regjoe!  We used to give more detail on things to help educate....and I guess I am leaning that way again!  Fun Fun

I knew to carry one when looking for a car - run it along the metal and where it has been puttied/fixed from an accident it will not stick!