Author Topic: Strange lamp  (Read 2169 times)

Kellyinca

• View Profile
Strange lamp
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:33:08 pm »
I can't find any information on this lamp anywhere.  I purchased it at a local shop.  It is metal.  I would love to know the era, manufacturer, and type of metal if anyone knows.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Strange lamp
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »
Do you have the Shade?

Kellyinca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:07:46 pm »
No.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:19 am »
Your lamp is and American version of a french Hot Air Balloon lamp. it appears to be Brass plated, and it's from the 1950's.

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:23 am »
Haha, I was thinking the other night that it looked like a hot air balloon.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:13:42 pm »
I just love this lamp! I'm a sucker for lamps, I hope I find one just like this someday!

Kellyinca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »
Thank you very much for your help.  Yes, I love it too and was very excited to find it!

Kellyinca

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:39:08 am »
Just another thought - if it is from the 1950s, would the cord and plug look like that?  When I first got it, I read somewhere online that the silk covered wiring indicated it was from the 20s.  But I can't find that info anymore.  And even with your help, I still cannot find another one like it online. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »
Rayon became popular on cords after 1930.  Prior to this it was silk.  The use of silk, rayon and cotton were used until the 1950's.

A bit of trivia:

"In 1830, Joseph Henry (1797-1878) was teaching a class. He said, in effect, that there is no connection between electricity and magnetism. To prove it, he energized a wire, running near a second wire with a crude meter that showed electrical current. When he energized the first circuit, the meter moved. He had failed to prove his point.
Not only that, he found that, if he coiled up one or both wires, he could intensify the effect. And if he wrapped the wire around a piece of iron, the intensity of the magnetism was enhanced further.
Of course the wires could not touch each other, or the iron, or they would short-circuit. So he took his wife's silk dress and covered the wires with silk. Silk-covered wire was the hottest thing in the wire biz until well into the 20th century."     by Steve Lampton The History of Wire and Cable
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!