Author Topic: Any Fenton glass experts out there?  (Read 3767 times)

buyitonebay

• View Profile
Any Fenton glass experts out there?
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:47:48 pm »
I pick this up in one of my thrift stores. I don't see a signature. It's a glass bowl with the top melted into ribbons. The flowers are hand painted and there is a red coloring to the rim and inside. Held to the light the bowl has a pink glow to it (due to the inside color). Also the glass has almost a cool satiny feel to it. I have a limited knowledge of Fenton glass and this looks to me to be in that vein. Thanks for any help.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Any Fenton glass experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:19:10 pm »
It looks fenton, But the decor does not look like what I would expect from fenton. just and opinion.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:47:29 pm »
This is a shape Fenton did use  as early as 1938 it is called a  crimped rose bowl But I have never seen any fenton painted with a spotted almost folk art type pattern like yours .  Agree with D&B decor does not look like Fenton. Fenton is usually very precise and defined on all hand painted work.

fentonfrk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »
I agree with D&b antiques. It looks to me like a Fenton rose bowl but the painting a little unusual. I was reading through one of my prce guides and i found something that might help. It says that Lawrence Gale Wright would buy glass during the late 30's and 40's and then would hand paint them. He bought glass from a couple of makers but that 70% of what he bought was Fenton. I think that this could be a plausible explanation for what you have considering the fact that this piece is not stamped and not signed. All the new Fenton pieces say "Hand painted by..." on the bottom of them. Maybe with some more research we could find out something more.
Todays find is tomorrows treasure!

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:06:40 pm »
Thanks. I will now do my own due diligence with this info and continue to check back for your comments.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:06:52 pm »
fentonfrk you are right on the $$$ with this one I think. My bowl looks very similar to L.G. Wright fenton bowls. I found a plain fenton bowl like mine (below) on line for sale. I agree the artist may have been lacking in ability but hopefully that just adds to its charm. Much appreciated guys for steering me in the right direction.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:31:15 pm »
I have seen many pieces over the years that were once "plain" and people have decided to "pretty them up" to their likings!

So this wouldn't surprise me to have been done by an individual!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:46 am »
Yup, that is a “cased glass” rose bowl.

Buyitonebay, here is one attributed to Fenton: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310198333316

Yours has 7 crimps of the rim whereas that Fenton one has only 6.

And the L.G. Wright bowl you posted has 8.

Whether the # of crimps makes any difference or not I don’t know, ….. but sometimes such things do.

fentonfrk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »
Im counting 8 crimps on both of the posted pictures and i also cound 8 crimps on one i have in my personal collection. Also when i look through some of my books, i count 8 crimps on the rose bowls.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:17 am »
Im counting 8 crimps on both of the posted pictures

OOPS, my bad.  :'( :'(

fentonfrk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »
I was doing a little research on L.G. Wright and i found this vase that has the same painting as the rose bowl.

http://www.tias.com/11374/PictPage/1922843989.html

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »
They do have a pretty good site here!  Not much historical information - but they do sell books!
http://www.fentonartglass.com/history/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:58:17 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »
Yeah, that painting on the vase is a dead match with my little vase. I think my description on eBay of probably being Fenton glass bought by L.G. Wright is correct. Thanks