Author Topic: Please help me identify this silver cup  (Read 1749 times)

brewcat

• View Profile
Please help me identify this silver cup
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »
Hello, I was given a set of 8 of these silver cups from my grandparents. They told me that they were from Budweiser but I have not confirmed this. My best guess is that these cups were made between 1950 and 1970, but again not sure. I have not been able to find any information about them.

The base (drinking portion) is definitely solid silver and the top is a golden eagle--perhaps gold leaf over pewter but I am not sure.

Any information or even guesses would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

buyitonebay

• View Profile
Re: Please help me identify this silver cup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »
Are there any makers marks that you can see? I'm not doubting their silver but I think that if this were the case they would be marked with a content amount like 950,925 or 850. Also a hallmark of some sort. Take a close look around the base or at the bottom on the inside, maybe you'll see something?
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:05:04 pm »
I dont know if they are budweiser or not, they look like cups you would see in some ritual like church or cult, but I dont know. definately unique I know that.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »
   Welcome to the forum brewcat and thanks for posting.   They would be marked with Sterling if they are silver.  Do you or Did you just polish them?  I see hardly any signs of tarnish, and has a chrome look to them.   Look around on Ebay and at Brew memorbilia site, if they were made by Budweiser I'm sure they would be moderatly easy to find.  Look for any marks if they are silver or silverplate it should be marked. 

brewcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »
Thanks for everyone's help. Any direction that you can give me is very much appreciated.

There are no visible marks on the cups anywhere. They feel like and tarnish like silver. I cleaned one up to take pictures of it.

The rest of the back story is that my grandfather was president of a regional grocery chain in the 50s and 60s. At some point, a beer distributor, he remembers Budweiser, gave these cups to him as a gift. They were going to throw them away and I thought they were too unusual to pass up.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:30 pm »
Will look more later....

Here's a great book maybe you can find at a library or local book store
http://www.beerbooks.com/cgi/ps4.cgi?action=enter&thispage=1125&order_id=!ORDERID!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!