Author Topic: Antique Single Pedestal Drafting Tables... are they sturdy and functional?  (Read 3006 times)

lesliesandler

• View Profile
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but an avid collector of all things vintage.  I am interested in getting an antique single pedestal cast iron base small drawing table to use for daily use.  I am an illustrator/painter/designer and want something functional that i can lean into, or put my weight on.

I am a small 100 lb woman if that makes any difference on sturdiness.  And I am looking at various ages and makers, but would love to know if there are things i should watch out for - dimensions, materials, brands.  Any estimates on price are welcome to.

I have tried to research this on my own far and low but found no information and haven't seen one in person as of yet.  Think of buying on ebay.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to read this!
LEslie

cogar

• View Profile
The sturdiness of any single pedestal table is dependent upon the length of the out-stretched legs. And said lengths of legs being measured at the floor via a vertical line from the top of the table. The weight of the table itself and the ends of the legs "marks" the "tipping" center of gravity on the table top. Thus, if excess weight is placed on the table past that "tipping center of gravity" it will tip over.

Therefore, if the legs on your Single Pedestal Drafting Table extend out within 5" or 6" of the edge of the table top then you shouldn't have any problem. That cast iron base alone might weigh as much as you do.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
In all my 20 years of drafting, I never saw a pedastle drafting table. It doesn't make sense to me, to have a single pedastle that would likely rock when you erase, and would be a constant shin-knocker. Do you have a photo? I am wondering if this is something cobbled together. It sounds highly impractical to me. Here is a photo showing the draftsmen working on the drawings for the Titanic as an example:

I would shop around. You should be able to get a VERY good price for a drafting table. Since the introduction of AutoCAD they have really become dinosaurs and you should be able to find one (I would try your local craigslist) for very little $$, maybe even in the free section. A look at my local Craigslist shows a whole page full of them, starting at $20. Consider also that if you don't like the table, you may not even be able to resell it. They really are dinosaurs in that respect. The nice thing about Craigslist is that you can see it in person, try it and see if you are comfortable sitting at it. I would not buy off Ebay, the shipping alone would cost you more than a drafting table is worth, unless this is really something rare or unusual. I would proceed with great caution on that.

Another cool collectable might be to collect antique drafting equipment or antique artists tools and brushes and put them into a display case.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I went hunting and found one for comparison. Looks lovely, but functional? It is hard to say. It could be very tipsy and top-heavy. I think you would have to ask the seller on a case-by-case basis. At least it has a narrow pedastle that can go between the knees.

http://clevelandart.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=743&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I think a big consideration would be how much you lean on your work surface. When I did board drafting, I used to have a pretty constant bruise along the front of my ribs from having to lean against the edge of the drafting table, when working up at the top of a drawing. Goes with the territory!

A drafting table of the type above would have collectable and asthetic value, that is for sure, unlike the dinosaur type of table I mentioned above. But as far as it being functional, that is a tough call I think only you can answer. How many hours a day are you putting in? Do you lean your forearms on your work surface or do will you use this more like an easel? Can you protect the wood from paint splatters that would affect the value?

I don't mean to sound negative, but there are some real down-sides to drafting tables! Although one of the type above would be a GREAT way to display your artwork!

lesliesandler

• View Profile
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes I do lean my forearms in, but no issue on paint -  I have an easel for painting.  This would primarily be used for preliminary drawings for pieces that would become paintings or sketches for computer finished illustrations mostly. 

I did ask each of the sellers about what they thought and both of them assured me that it could handle the weight.  But this is clearly because each table has a fairly large tripod base, not so thick wood and smaller than average drawing surface.  And I guess my issue is now do I want such a small drawing surface.  I do not have room for the super large double pedestal antique variety and I fear I will not have the strength to adjust the big ol' rusty things!

Hmmm... may have to go with the new variety. Not my favorite look!

Thanks again for all the input and I appreciate any further input, especially from anyone that might have personal experience with them.  ::)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Welcome to the forum , lesliesandler .

As others here , I have spent some time hunched over drafting tables , in my younger days .

You pose an good question , but I'm unclear as to how you'd use such a desk ... if you're planning on sitting @ it or standing while working .
The higher the desk surface , the tippier it would become ...

Rows of the great big herkin' ones , in offices flooded with fluro lights , were often leaned against by some pretty lge fellows , all without tippin' over .

I'd want to keep an eye on folks millin' around such a set-up as you're planning , so as to avoid hurt toes & feelings .

Perhaps a way around the tipping challenge would be to attach your pending pedastal desk to the floor .
If you're thinkin' of a portable/storable unit , scratch that last suggestion ... :)

I'd guess that the bottom line would be : how large of a surface area do you require for your work ?

If your work is not too large , there are certainly items like this around (as talesofthesevenseas illustrated)  to be found & purchased by savvy 'tique hunters !.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:03:49 pm by regularjoe2 »