Author Topic: Brass Blade Fans?  (Read 10716 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Brass Blade Fans?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:26:52 pm »
Yeah, I was all confused about the oil/grease thing. Because it says oil and grease on the same tag. I was under the impression that the two were totally different. For instance, I use sewing machine oil on the phonograph. The thin, waterly slick stuff. But the oil holders on this fan are filled with the thick, black heavy stuff. So, do I really add the watery oil in with the grease Cogar? That doesn't sound right lol.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 05:44:11 am »
Well now, if it was mine, I would clean that "thick, black heavy stuff" out of there and fill it back up with oil.

When that fan was being marketted, everyone had grease around the house, moreso than they had a can of oil. Grease will work ......... but the grease in yours may have hardened up after all these years and is not doing its "thingy" as well as it should.

The grease works because the motor runs "hot" and thus the heat causes the grease to flow down to the armature shaft.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:27 am »
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the advice cogar. Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined and I would have literally had to look up the differences between oil and grease. Women, I tell ya. Well, I'm not even half as handy as most normal women. Thanks again :)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 01:16:51 pm »
You are quite welcome, glad I was helpful.

Oh, and ps, (if you didn't get it taken apart and cleaned) when you get ready to "fire up" your fan, you might first want to use WD-40 to "oil it" with the first few days of operation, then put the 3-in-1 oil in it and it should be OK for several months of operation. The WD-40 will "cut-the-crud" off the bearings and shaft and oil it too. Cheers

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
Great advice cogar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!