Author Topic: Old Wooden Office Chair - T.H Krug Furniture Co. Limited  (Read 2712 times)

loveisprecious

• View Profile
Old Wooden Office Chair - T.H Krug Furniture Co. Limited
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:29:24 pm »
I have an Old Wooden Office Chair. It was manufactured by T.H Krug Furniture Co. Limited. Has the crank to adjust the back rest as well as the height. Any ideas how old this is and how much it is worth?

waywardangler

Re: Old Wooden Office Chair - T.H Krug Furniture Co. Limited
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »
I have a similar chair painted lime green that I need to refinish.  I paid $5.  I have seen original finish old chairs tagged at $50-100 in my region (Midwest).

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:46:09 pm »
"Hartman Krug, a cabinetmaker of German heritage, founded Krug Inc. in 1880. He started his own small factory in Berlin, Ontario (renamed Kitchener in 1919) and by the turn of the century was producing several product lines, which included upholstered office chairs and hand carved residential furniture, out of a massive four story plant on Ahrens Street.

Krug's attention to detail and quality was the force behind its popularity within Canada. Steam-bent and hand-carved pieces were the trademarks of a company whose goal was to create an elegant and lasting product. In the 1930's, Krug was producing office and contract chairs and tables exclusively, and in the war years of 1939 to 1945, virtually all the company's production was for the Canadian government's war effort. In the post-war boom period, Krug's output grew rapidly to supply a market in which office furniture was in high demand."

Their catalogue from 1913, too early for yours I would say.  (But fun to look through  ;))

http://www.archive.org/stream/krugfurniture00kruguoft#page/n3/mode/2up

Even more fun......but much further away from the date you'd want (1894 catalogue) **oops, had to correct that date

http://www.archive.org/stream/krugbrotherscata00kruguoft#page/n0/mode/2up

I'd have to go with wayward on the price range. I've spotted ads from $60 to $95 (asking prices) and came across a blogger who had picked one up off Craigslist for $15 (needed refinishing).  These prices span from Ontario to BC.  The blogger also mentioned that the same style reproduction at Pottery Barn was going for $399.  Sad that they can ask prices like that for what is most likely lesser quality.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:54:44 pm by sapphire »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:26:11 am »
IN my nect of the woods it would go for $75 to $150
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!