Author Topic: Antique Side Table ??  (Read 2332 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Antique Side Table ??
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:36:10 pm »
I bought this table at an auction yesterday for $15.00 - assuming because the top has major damage to it (watermarks, scratches, paint drops, etc.).  I didn't care because I loved the look of the table and just planned on trying to refinish it. I have never bought antique furniture before (or even gone to an auction) - so this is all new to me.  Couple of questions:

1.  What would the table have been used for (i.e. end table)?
2.  My mother said the underside of the table reminds her of a black chalkboard - it has hundreds of scratch marks on the underside of the lid.  She said she remembers as a child seeing the men lighting their matches underneath the table.  She thinks that is what the marks are from.  If that is true, what is the black chalkboard-y looking material made from?
3.  Is it a big "no-no" to refinish it myself - I figured it was in such bad shape it couldn't hurt?
4.  I also have tried a little research to determine roughly what era it is from, but have had no luck yet.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique Side Table ??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:33:04 pm »
Just for fun, you might try some scratch filler on the top to see if you can get away without having to refinish it. There are some pretty big scuffs, but you might be able to blend them with a liquid scratch filler (not the pencil type) or just refinish the top. I love the look of the legs as they are, and it would be great if you could get away without having to do too much to it. There's always the crocheted doily option too!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »
This is actually a beautiful piece.  I believe it is a hall table.  However, it is hard to tell from the pics.  Can you please list the dimensions?

Is the top solidly affixed in that it doesn't rotate or flip over?

I also feel like talesof that if possible not to redo the piece. 

I'll bet that cogar, regjoe, D&b, etc....will have some mighty find suggestions/tips for you.  Bet they will be by soon.......
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:55:55 pm »
KC, the dimensions are 26" long, 15" deep, and 21" high.  The top is soldly affixed.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:56:06 pm »
Sure looks like a hall table, but perhaps a bit short- I can't really visualize 21 inches :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:28:48 pm »
Yepper, this is not a hall table - it would be much taller.  It is an end table.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:01 pm »
Thanks for your help!  I showed it to my boss today and she loved it.  Told me not to refinish it.  I told her my mom's theory on why there might be scratches underneath (i.e. men striking matches) and she said that seemed to make sense.  She said she has some antique funriture with the same markings underneath and she could never figure out why or how they got there.  Just our theory!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:18:26 pm »
I'd offer a third option on your little sturdy-looking item , esp. if you're planning on using it in your home .

Although I have not seen under your table , I'd suggest looking to see if it's top has been screwed , or glued (or both) to the lower frame assembly .

If it's simply screwed down , you can remove it and work on the finish (I'm talking about refinishing only the top of your item) .

I think a good finish (tabletop only) , matching it's existing elements , would be a great improvement for your item.... all the scrapes & stains are a distraction , through my eyes , to it's beauty .
If you're careful enough , you can leave the bottom of it's surface , with the ensuing 'match-strike' marks left intact .

There's methods aplenty for refinishing furniture , some of which involve simple (but time-consuming) methods of solventizing an existing finish , without fully removing it .
I'd use careful methods with refinishing with an item like yours , just because I think it's a hamdsome piece of furniture .

I don't think it's 'antique' value is way up in the stars , so I'd just refinish the top if it were mine .

Sounds as if this was used as a 'smoking stand' , at some point , maybe .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »
Good advice regjoe.  Had to look up solventizing....suc h a big word for me!  :)

I have to hijack this post and tell about an antique  bedroom set that we used in our guest room for years that belonged to our elderly neighbors.  They had built the house up the road with their daughter and her family and didn't have a bedroom for it.  It was a beautiful older set that had been in the family for years.  We needed one and hadn't found what we wanted so we talked them into letting us use it (they were going to put it into storage and it would have possibly ruined it).  So it was a win win for both.  One day after the elderly man had passed away I was sitting in the room looking at the set and noticed that the right side of the head board had lots of small scratches from side to side.  After much pondering I went and asked Mimi if that side of the bed had been the side she had slept on...which she was surprised that I could even know that. I asked her if she went to bed with curlers on over the years and she let out a howl.....laughed so hard!  In fact she did and that was what gave it the "character" marks.  Their granddaughter now has the set and cherishes those character marks.