Author Topic: Maritime Antiques  (Read 2517 times)

jennifer6442

• View Profile
Maritime Antiques
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »
I have a brass porthole. 19" in diameter and the glass is 12". This is a antique and that is all that I know.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:01:56 pm by jennifer6442 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Maritime Antiques
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:06:45 pm »
Sounds a bit larger than the 1940's one I got for our boat. Are there any casting markings on it? If you don't know where it came from and it is unmarked, it might be hard to identify. Photos may help.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jennifer6442

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:08:49 pm »
There are some random number markings but I do see a couple of chinese/japanese stamps. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:05 pm »
jennifer, antique means over 100 years old.

Unfortunately, this item has been duplicated and re-manufactured more times than we can count.

We need to see a picture and a close up pic of the markings please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »
jennifer, antique means over 100 years old.

Unfortunately, this item has been duplicated and re-manufactured more times than we can count.

We need to see a picture and a close up pic of the markings please!

I consider Antique anything pre 1970 unless its things like furniture.

Automobiles are usually considered antique after 30 years I believe.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:59:38 pm »
Although the terms for cars vary, especially if you look at insurance sites, cars can be classified as "classic" or "vintage" before they reach "antique" status.

I think this Wikipedia entry does a good job in giving an average standard, citing the Antique Automobile Club of America's standards as cars having reached 20 years as being double their design life, 25 years as "vintage", over 45 as "antique".

In general I think with most items are considered "vintage" at 50 and "antique" at 100 years of age. Cars are the exception. (Someone correct me on this if I am off-base please.)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:06:27 am »
The definition of antique varies from source to source, product to product and year to year.

However....some steadfast definitions of antique for you to consider....

US Customs Tariff Act of 1930 defines antiques as an item which is at least 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature (with all the revisions to date)....and it is easier to just refer to this article that has it correct.   http://www.refinishwizard.com/what_is_an_antique_definition.html

A standard for automobiles are determined by the Antique Automobile Club of America must be at least 25 years of age or older and is currently functioning and restored to comply with the manufacturers original specifications.  However....this varies by state to state for classification and license purposes and can be as little as 20 years.

Take a little time to read this thread on the Ebay forum about antique, vintage and collectible.
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Antiques/Antique-Vs-Vintage/400098219?&tstart=2720&mod=1112307266034

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:58:16 am »
Great info KC! Thanks!!

I love all nautical old things Jennifer6442, antique, classic or otherwise! I think that going to sea ads a unique grade of history to any piece and would love to see some photos! You may be able to determine the age by looking at the glass. If it is very clear and shiney, versus a little cloudy and worn.

KC, I always have to chuckle at what gets listed on Craigslist as "antique". Sometimes it's anything that has been in the house since the 18-year-old seller was a kid. Like antique microwaves and stereo speakers. That's kind of the fun of C-list, hunting for a few gems.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »
I totally agree talesof.  People know that antiques sell and figure if you add that "title" to the description it will make more money.  Sometimes it does to the educated and unfortunately many times it does for those who can least afford it but have some emotional connection. 

I have had quite a few chuckles over the years looking at ebay items.  Corrected a few over the years and most of the time they don't correct their ads and run more - those are the abusers.