Author Topic: Trying to determine age...Table  (Read 2241 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Trying to determine age...Table
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:32:31 am »
I have been trying to figure out the age of this table for awhile now. I can't tell if it's a modern repro or a really old table.

The top isn't leather, it appears to be some sort of paper material. Did all of the old ones have leather? It has lots of that "crackling" that appears to be from true age. But I don't know. I'm horrible with old furniture. On the pic of the underneath, notice the finish appears to be "sprayed" on. Did they have spray finishes back in the day? It looks genuinely old in person but I'm just not sure. Any ideas on whether this is old or new? The base is solid wood, the top is solid wood, the piece with the stamped numbers is plywood. Thanks for any input!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: Trying to determine age...Table
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:04:25 am »
Hosman, is the top leather?

Oh, sorry. I got ahead of myself and hadn't read the second paragraph :P Anyway, you have an octagonal table of some sort, but the design doesn't really look all that old to me. 1950's would be my guess, but I could be way off.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:13:11 pm »
I'd guess that your item is not 'real old' , hosman321 .

It's possible that the top is one made from real vellum (very thin animal hide) , or possibly synthetic vellum (I'm guessin' real vellum , though) .

Spray-finishing process , in furniture , usually indicate more modern origin (excepting when someone refinishes an 'oldie' & uses spray) .

Some mass-produced furniture actually uses/used a pigmented finish , skipping the whole staining process .

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm starting to guess the 1950's-60's now too. That would explain it looking old but also looking mass produced. The old woman we got it from assured us it was an "antique" and she had it for "a very long time." Yeah, how many times have we all heard that? A very long time could be 15 years. Thanks again!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »
A great number of times indeed :)