Author Topic: Antique Furniture Care Question  (Read 2811 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Antique Furniture Care Question
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »
Hey gang,

What is the best type of furniture polish to use on antique wood furniture, that does has old, original stain on it, but not a shiny finish? This is for my oak dining set that has a dark walnut stain, but nothing else.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Antique Furniture Care Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:15:29 pm »
There will be lots of opinions on this one , I bet .

Since you mention open-grained wood (stained only) , I'll say that most polishes that are O.K. for 'bare wood' will work , typically citrus oil based (lemon/orange) .... many have liquified beeswax & other stuff in them too .
The problem with open grain is that the polish will tend to 'fill' the grain over time & actually "gunk" it up .
Dirt & dust will adhere to just about every form of wax in the world , and can act as abrasives to finishes & bare wood alike .
There's products that will clean out open-grained woods that have been heavily waxed/polished for years , though .

My favorite for this is Tung oil .... not exactly a high-gloss finish , and it builds over time (I usually apply Tung oil once a year to a couple of cabinets I've kept kickin' around) .
Problem with Tung oil is that it is an actual wood finish , which builds a wonderfully fine patina eventually .
To 'polish' this furniture , I simply give it a quick rubbing-down with a clean old cotton t-shirt (after dusting it first) & it's done .

Since you're using your oak item as your diningroom table , I'd be concerned about watermarks , stains from spills & etc .....(including your Duncan-fire-table son) ...

but what the heck , if you want an 'unfinished' table , you oughtta have one !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:46 pm »
It's this same table that you guys helped me with earlier. I was using an Old English product that said it was safe for antique furniture, contained oils etc., but have learned since that just the propellants in any kind of spray are bad for the wood. So I'd like to find something that won't build up, is non-toxic and will keep the wood hydrated. I was wondering if that mineral oil might be a good choice, but I'm not sure because this has dark original stain on oak.

Here's the table again to jog your memory. This is the rustic trestle table with the solid quartersawn top. And don't worry, my son's out on his own. He isn't getting near this table!  ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:41 pm »
Nice table , talesfo ... now I 'bumember !

Old English (Lemon) oil 'treatment' - in bottled form (not spray) is one free of wax/silicone & such .
Mineral oil too , as long as you allow some time after buffing (both of the above will stain fabrics , when 'wet') .
Formby's has some products that work too  .

I've used a semi-soft fingernail brush , for cleaning out flat open-grain wood before , during & after oiling .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:09:38 pm by regularjoe2 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:13 pm »
OK cool, Old English Lemon Oil and mineral oil sound like they would do the trick then. I just wasn't sure since this had been stained. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:15:39 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:55 am »
Tales so agree with RJ2 love lemon oil &  have used it myself on pieces like yours for over 10 years . Glad to hear your son will not be near this one I remember the last should I say heated encounter :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:58 am »
Why I thought all antiquers had a bottle of Old English somewhere in their cubbard.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:11:55 am »
I usually do, but had run out and wasn't sure what the right stuff for the table would be.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 11:30:34 am »
Love the old English oil!  Regular and with stain.  We have 2 paneled rooms in our home and we couldn't live without the light or dark stain!

Use mineral oil on food safe items and it has to dry totally.  

Haven't experimented with tung oil but have a few pieces I will try it on.  Thanks for the information regjoe!!!
Okay....Hijack!  Talesof.....would love to see some pics of your spoon collection you have so aptly displayed on the wall.  Some history and what you are collecting!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:06 pm »
I would love to show you guys the spoons! The whole upper rack and some of the lower were inherited from my grandmother and go back five generations. I will do a separate topic on that with pleasure!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:26:55 pm »
Yea I would really love to see the spoons.  Was going to ask myself, but didn't want to impose  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »
Yeah, unlike Ironlord, I imposed.....LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!