Author Topic: What is this Carved Wood Item?  (Read 1948 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
What is this Carved Wood Item?
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »
This a carved, painted, hollowed wood cylinder that was a recent TS purchase that was purchased more out of curiosity than any other reason.

It looks like it may have been part of the handle for something or a container used to store something. It has almost a Tiki look but I'm leaning more towards South America perhaps as part of something made for the tourist trade but I'm not sure.

The item measures about 5 inches in length, 2 1/4 inches in width at it's widest point and the hole is about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. I'm not sure of what type of wood it is but the outside and inside have been carved. I'm also not sure of what type of animals are carved on the cylinder, perhaps turtles.

Does anyone know what this item is, where it was made and the time period it might have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: What is this Carved Wood Item?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:15 pm »
Sorry about the double post, not sure how that happened. Please respond to this post not the other one.

Thanks,
Kevin

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 06:49:14 pm »
Is there a line just below the lip on the inside ??  There is nothing about the carving that would even hint at where it is from !! Very rough shapes and painting so looks like it was done quickly !! May have held something and used a cork top closure !! Maybe sold to tourists or used for festivals !! My first thought was it held confetti or something for a wedding like we do rice !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
Is there a line just below the lip on the inside ?? 

Sorry, the images aren't that great. There is no line on the inside, although, there are chisel marks or tool grooves that go straight down into the cylinder to the bottom if that's what you mean.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:22:35 pm »
No,,wasn`t that,, just thought I saw a shadow !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
Can't tell what kind of wood that is! 

Does look like turtles....huh....t hinking!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »
There are Turtle festivals all over South America !! One in Costa Rica and other places I didn`t know !!